Sitec currently have a requirement for a Zephyr Manufacturing Engineer for our client based in Farnborough.
Zephyr is a solar-powered high-altitude pseudo-satellite (HAPS), designed to complement the advantages of both satellites and classic unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV). Flying in the stratosphere at an altitude of around 65.000 ft, Zephyr offer a high, inherently stable vantage point unaffected by air traffic and weather and thus enable numerous unique remote-sensing or communication services. Combining long endurance and local footprint, Zephyr quite literally fill the gap between satellites and today's UAVs. By day Zephyr flies on solar power generated by paper-thin solar cells covering its 23-metre wingspan which drive its two small propellers and charge up lithium-sulphur batteries which power the craft during the night-time.
Zephyr is the state-of-the-art technology demonstrator of Airbus DS' Zephyr programme. It holds three official world records including the longest endurance of any unmanned aircraft.
A new role has been created for a Lead Manufacturing Engineering (ME) inside the Zephyr project team based in Farnborough, Hampshire, UK. The scope of this role is to deliver ME solutions to the new production system which delivers the Zephyr Aircraft and Ground Support Equipment in line with business requirements.
Tasks & Accountabilities og Zephyr Manufacturing Engineer:
As a key member of the Zephyr production MFT your main tasks and responsibilities will be to provide hands-on enablement of design intent into a qualified lean production system for Zephyr UAV's platforms to Safety, Quality, Cost and Time through:
* Creating MRP system shop floor routings / job card definitions / shop floor standard operating instructions(SOI's) / quality care cards
* Technical dossiers and support to procurement activities, supply chain monitoring and Make v Buy decisions (including benchmarking).
* Use of the Airbus CAD(CATIA v6, Solidworks) & PLM(Windchill) toolset and BOM(SAP) administration/configuration control (co-ordinate with design)
* Technical problem solving and support to production and supply chain.
* Application of APQP as appropriate
* Perform Design For Manufacture (DFM) / Design To Cost (DTC) studies and provide input to design teams
* Liaison with MGSE / Jig & Tools (Design, Manufacture, Calibration & Maintenance)
* Liaison with Manufacturing System Engineering. (Process flow, line balancing, capital investment items, facilities requirements)
You will also be responsible for:
* Deriving production KPI's in conjunction with operations teams.
* Continuous Improvement of the production system in line with business targets
* Enable Health and Safety target achievement.
* Enablement of the "Right First Time" Quality culture with associated business systems and feedback loops
Required Skills & Experience:
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following:
* Innovative, agile and self-driven in a fast paced and changing environment.
* Educated to degree level in a relevant engineering discipline
* Experience in a Manufacturing Engineering discipline
* Knowledge of CFRP part fabrication / layup production techniques
* Knowledge of Aerospace Production and assembly techniques and standards
* Experience creating or improving production systems, teams and facilities
* Excellent communication skills.
* Demonstrated Experience solving technical operational issues
* Able to work in a multi-function team and matrix organisation
* IT & CAD Skills
* English to Negotiation Level
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.