Sitec has a requirement for a Verification and Validation Test Coordinator for our client Perkins Engines. This is a contract role for an estimated 12 months and will be based in Peterborough.
Caterpillar's legacy of industry leadership dates back to 1925. We have a global footprint with product in more than 180 countries. Caterpillar is a Fortune 50 company and one of the 30 companies on the Dow Jones Industrial Average. We are among Interbrand's Top 100 Global Brands and recognized as one of Barron's World's Most Respected Companies. More than 300 products make up the most diverse product line in the industry.
The Innovation & Technology Development team offers some of the most exciting engineering roles within the Caterpillar global organisation. Working on the integration of electronic and electrical systems within multiple Caterpillar products provides the opportunity to work with multiple disciplines within the organisation.
The integration of the latest Electronics and Electrical technology helps differentiate Caterpillar products from its competitors by enabling exceptional performance and value to the customer. Our engine systems control air and fuel delivery with millisecond precision to maximise performance and minimise exhaust emissions. Our integrated machine systems control all aspects of construction machine operation (engine, transmission, hydraulic systems), provide the human-machine interface (operator controls and information displays), and constantly monitor and communicate position, operation, diagnostic and prognostic information to enable machine automation, improved productivity and enhanced serviceability.
The successful applicant for this position will join the European Engine Controls and Software team and will be the Verification and Validation Test Coordinator working across all core engine software releases created by the team for IPSD Small and Medium diesel engines. This will encompass all programmes, including current product and new product introductions.
These programmes offer the opportunity to work with cutting edge software test techniques and technology, helping the team to achieve its goal of a world class approach to software verification leading to unrivalled levels of engine software quality. You will be part of a small, friendly team working together to support engine programmes that are critical to the long-term success of a respected, global company.
Responsibilities will include:
* Working with closely-aligned teams from other business units, the successful candidate will help to plan and execute end-to-end verification and validation activities to demonstrate the quality of our software products, targeting defect-free release and minimal engine and machine downtime from software issues or defects.
* Updating and publishing a tracker showing test plans, execution status and progress towards planned release dates.
* Working with the local team to ensure that regression testing is timetabled and executed, and results published, providing support for the execution of dSPACE tests when necessary.
* Working with customer teams to plan and execute on-engine and on-machine testing, including software check-out and sub-systems test using hardware bench set-ups (eg. DEF system, low pressure fuel system) as necessary.
* This is a proactive role involving a mixture of planning/managing/coordinating test activity and the hands-on execution of tests. The successful candidate will benefit from a dynamic set of responsibilities which will involve desk and lab work as well as conducting tests on engine and machine. A dynamic and pragmatic approach to work, and a willingness to get hands-on with the product is therefore essential.
EXPERIENCE / KEY SKILLS:
'Must Have' key skills and competencies for this role:
* Strong technical background - ideally a good technical degree in mechanical, electronic, electrical, control systems or automotive engineering - though consideration will be given to other qualifications or significant relevant experience in lieu of this.
* Prior experience in engine control system development and / or verification testing (preferably in the off-highway or marine industry)
* Good understanding of diesel engine technology, including common rail fuel systems and aftertreatment.
* Experience of electronic system development tools such as CANape, CANalyser and a working knowledge of J1939 datalink standards
* A proven track record of conducting tests of electronic systems on the end product
* Good leadership skills
* Strong team player
* Excellent communications skills
* Strong customer focus
'Desirable' key skills and competencies for this role
* Detailed knowledge of engine control system architecture.
* Experience of dSPACE Hardware in the Loop and associated tools (Control Desk, Automation Desk, Matlab / Simulink)
* Good understanding of the software testing process.
* Experience of writing technical documents / requirements / test plans
* Strong interest in engine control system development, particularly for off-highway, marine and military applications.
Ideal background of the candidate:
* Diesel engine or Powertrain development experience
* Experience within Office/Validation Lab based role/ environment
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.