Sitec has a requirement for a Test Data Systems Technician our client Perkins Engines. This is a temporary role for an estimated 6 months and will be based in Peterborough.
JOB PURPOSE / SCOPE
The Test Data Systems Team (TDS) is part of Facilities Engineering within GED - UK which forms part of the Product Development & Global Technology (PD>) business unit. TDS is responsible for installing, licensing, administering, developing, adapting and maintaining automated test software and other associated applications for the whole of GED consisting of over 40 test cells with differing testing requirements. Additionally it is the sole responsibility of the team to ensure the best quality data is available on the Caterpillar network when required by the customer groups that rely on it.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES / DUTIES
First and foremost, the Test Data Systems Technician is responsible for his/her safety and the safety of co-workers and consequently must strive to ensure a safe, clean, professional work environment by completing required safety training within required timeframes, establishing safety goals, participating in monthly safety & housekeeping inspections, and demonstrating through attitude and actions that nothing is more important than safety!
Reporting directly to the Test Data Systems Team Leader the individual will complete proposed changes or additions to systems, programs, or infrastructure components including hardware, software, or network. Assist more experienced team members in infrastructure or system development and support team in developing solutions to customer related requests and/or systems problems.
Customers may include internal Caterpillar organizations, suppliers and users of Caterpillar product. Responsibilities of the incumbents are along functional lines with individual TDS Engineers assigned new program development and/or maintenance of existing systems, PC's, Data Acquisition software, measurement instruments and any tailored bespoke software.
* Specifies, sources, builds test cell PC based systems
* Monitoring of OEE metrics attributed to TDS, highlighting any concerns to TDS Engineers to be able to tackle route causes of reoccurring lost time and drive quantity of breakdowns down.
* Continue to increase velocity of breakdown resolution improving uptime of test cells.
* When required, installation, license management and maintenance of internal and external supplied/design software (e.g CANape, CAT ET, Perkins EST, Morphee, Test Launcher etc)
* Process and flow chart creation for standard working practices that are in remit (LWI's, COP's etc)
* Under direction of more senior team members, assists in the development or integration of major system & software modules and programs.
* Prepare test cell data acquisition software for engine installations and test work.
* Attend to TDS Breakdowns quickly and efficiently giving excellent closing comments within the work order system.
* Knowledgeable of current operating environment, logic diagrams, testing, debugging and documentation.
* Specifies information flows, processes and procedures, data objects and dialogues between information systems and their users.
* Converts limited parts of logical specifications into more detailed designs; Translates design requirements and implements simple physical database structures.
All team members must manage their own development; continuously learning through training & experience and staying abreast of technology. The individual should look to increase his/her technical expertise and responsibility, striving for the next level of seniority, in this case TDS Engineer.
REQUIRED EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
* This job role requires a relevant degree with up to 12 months relevant experience, or non-degree educated with 1-3 Years relevant experience.
* The incumbent should be knowledgeable of current technology including one or more of the following: programming languages, computing hardware and software environments, system integration processes, system administration processes and tools, and current development processes and tools.
* In addition, the incumbent should have a developing knowledge of Caterpillar policies and procedures and a general knowledge of the Caterpillar organisation.
REQUIRED TALENTS / SKILLS / KNOWLEDGE
* Self-starter (initiative and sense of urgency in work)
* Excellent planning and organising skills
* Good people / interpersonal skills
* Excellent analytical (data analysis and data extraction) skills
* Ability to learn quickly and retain pertinent information
* Ability to concisely and accurately communicate technical information
* Ability to work independently and also as a team member
* Good PC Administration skills
* Good knowledge of PC hardware & software
* Good knowledge of LAN & wireless networks
* Computer application skills to support job requirements (Email, MS Excel, MS Word, etc.)
* Demonstrated experience with automated industrial test equipment used within a development or production environment
* Maintenance of equipment, fault finding/diagnosis & breakdown expertise
* Demonstrated knowledge and use of test cell data acquisition software & systems (e.g Morphee)
* Working knowledge of software tools, packages and facilities such as CANape, RS232/485, MCD3 etc
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.