Sitec is seeking a Supportability Engineer for our client to be based at their facility in Barrow-in-Furness.
The initial contract duration is until 31st March 2018, with the option to extend up to 12 months.
Our client is a Tier 1 Industrial Participant within the Dreadnought Class Submarine design programme and is performing the role of the Whole Boat Support Integrator (WBSI). In addition to setting and integrating the supportability performance at whole boat, the WBSI provides an embedded team that is responsible for influencing and reporting on the supportability considerations of the Platform and Secondary Propulsion Major Systems.
The responsibility of the Supportability Engineer is to assess and influence the system level design, initially through RCM and FMECA, such that it meets the performance required of the Major System and ultimately enable the Whole Boat to meet its CASD and TLC targets as specified in the Support Maturity Management Plan.
- Technical quality of the engineering deliverables demonstrating compliance with the required technical assurance and governance processes as specified in the WBSI Engineering Management Plan;
- Adherence to the schedule of work that satisfies the BAES System Level Review process and the WBSI Support Maturity Management Plan for allocated systems;
- Assessing and influencing the design of named systems by completing supportability analysis such as RCM and FMECA, which is processed by a toolset to generate products in support of system technical notes and Case Reports;
- Recording risks or issues that may prevent a system from meeting its supportability requirements, including but not limited to:
- Shore Regime Safety Functional Requirements
- Obsolescence and Disposal
- Ensuring that applicable Learning from Experience has been adequately embodied or addressed within the design.
The Supportability Engineer principal tasks and responsibilities are:
- Performing Through Life Support (TLS) activities which will predominantly be RCM and FMECA for nominated systems to meet their Design Review criteria and ultimately the programme;
- Perform appropriate analysis and collation of data to support the production of a Candidate Item List, SDD technical notes and PBS Case Reports for selected systems;
- Adherence to the WBSI Processes;
- To engage with other subject matter experts in the field of supportability, cost engineering or supply chain as necessary to deliver an appropriate quality of assessment and report on the system;
- Support the Lead Supportability Engineer and Principal Supportability Engineer to deliver technical notes that provide provide the supportability input into the Design Description documents in accordance with the design review schedule and the system level assessment product definition document;
- Document, escalate and progress to closure issues, risks and opportunities using the appropriate management tool;
- Ensuring coherence with and adherence to the engineering strategies, policies and plans for the nominated Major Areas and associated systems and ensuring a seamless integration with the Whole Boat Support Solution;
- Articulation of maturity and quality of collected data and associated impact on the uncertainty contained in outputs.
Qualifications and Experience Requirements
Degree level education or equivalent, in Engineering / technical discipline or relevant operator maintainer experience
- An awareness of marine systems operation, maintenance and support requirements;
- Experience of constructing technical arguments and reports, and delivering clear and effective communication in complex commercial and technical environments;
- Relevant experience of assessing supportability of systems in a defence and/or services environment;
- Experience in forming and delivering quantitative technical arguments and cases for implementing opportunities or managing risk;
- Experience in completing supportability analysis specifically RCM and FMECA, ideally in the Defence or Marine environment.
Successful applicants will be required to be Security Cleared prior to appointment.
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.