Sitec are currently looking to recruit an Solution Architect for a nuclear MoD establishment in Reading (private organisation). The post is an estimated 6-12 month contract and is paying competitively on an hourly basis.
Successful applicants will be required to be Security Cleared prior to appointment and due to the nature of the projects with this client, Sitec can only accept applications from those resident in the UK for the last 10 years who hold a full British Passport. Unfortunately dual nationals will not be considered for this position.
Our client is currently in the process of modernising both its business and secure working environments. In the OFFICIAL space this will allow our client to take advantage of the opportunities offered by Microsoft Office 365 for external collaborations, public cloud computing capabilities and other commercial SaaS products. In its higher security environments the work is focussed on introducing and exploiting private cloud equivalents.
The Solution Architect is a key member of our client's IS Modernisation solution architecture team with responsibility across both the OFFICIAL and above OFFICIAL, high security environments. The main focus of this role will be designing and implementing new capabilities within the business from a number of different stakeholder groups across a large portfolio of projects.
In addition to the technical aspects of this role, this position will also include stakeholder meetings with both internal and external service providers.
It is expected that role will encompass the initial design setup and deployment of new solutions followed by the transition to live services with members of the operational team whom will oversee production application and infrastructure support.
* The Solution Architect will report to the IS Modernisation Programme Architect
* The Solution Architect will work closely with IS Delivery/Project Managers
* The Solution Architect will liaise extensively with other project architects within the Modernisation Programme.
* The Solution Architect will also liaise with the IT/Infrastructure Operations Team, the Application Support Team and with external vendor support teams.
* The Solution Architect will also be required to provide support and guidance for new emerging projects.
Main Roles & Responsibilities
* Provide direction and leadership to all aspects of application architecture, infrastructure and application design
* Provide guidance on the selection of IT solutions (including software packages) for projects. Being able to evaluate the potential impacts on the business such as license costs, phasing out of legacy systems, training etc.
* Select the appropriate design standards, methods and tools and ensure they are applied effectively
* Takes full responsibility for the overall system architecture
* Works with the business analyst and/or elicits the business requirements to ensure the technical solution meets the business need and can be delivered on the chosen architecture
* Identifies the commercial impacts of changes in the analysis and implementation model and reports these to project management.
* Solution Design and Quality Assurance
* Production of high quality technical documentation covering the setup and implementation of design patterns
* Contribute to the development of Infrastructure standards, best practices and organisational capability
Qualifications & Requirements
* Bachelor's degree in Information Security, Computer Science or related field required or equivalent industry experience.
* Professional qualifications / Microsoft Certifications
* Proven design, planning and implementation experience with on-premise and cloud hosting environments.
* Strong experience with virtualisation technologies
* Proven design, planning and implementation experience with SQL and Oracle database platforms
* Design, planning and implementation experience with Windows Server technologies
* Technical design experience with Microsoft Azure
* Infrastructure planning, integration and deployment
* Solution architecture
* Awareness of Microsoft licensing models
* Well-developed communication skills
* Networking (TCP/IP, DNS, VPNs, reverse proxies, routing, switching etc.)
* Azure Networking (VNETs, Express Route, VPN Gateway, Traffic Manager, NSGs)
* Security (firewall configuration, IPS/IDS etc.)
* Understanding of common database technologies (e.g. backup/restoration, replication/mirroring)
* Understanding of common internet technologies (e.g. e-mail, web servers, web services)
* Experience designing for disaster recovery
* Storage technologies (SAN, NAS, RAID configuration, caching etc.)
* Experienced producing multi-tiered, load-balanced, redundant infrastructure architectures
* ARM Templates and Windows PowerShell
Capabilities & Other Qualities
* Able to work independently
* Ability to set own goals and manage towards them
* Good client presentation skills
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.