Sitec are currently looking to recruit a Software Specialist (SQL Server Databases) for a nuclear MoD establishment in Reading. The post is for an estimated 6 month contract initially and is paying competitively on an hourly basis.
Successful applicants will be required to be security cleared prior to appointment
The role is to provide Subject Matter Expert advice in the deployment and maintenance of SQL Server databases. To investigate and address issues, including resolving incidents allocated to the group from the Help Desk.
To support Application Services with change and development activities including project delivery. This role provides primary DBA support to corporate systems located on several networks.
- Ensure that production databases are maintained and patched in a proactive manner
- Undertake the cloning and patching of databases in development, system test, UAT and pre-production environments
- Maintain installations, upgrades and maintenance of the database server, tools and applications
- Undertake investigations and propose resolutions of incidents and problems
- Work with Project Managers to prepare for the transition of new database services into support.
- Monitor and plan for database storage requirements
- Monitor, maintain and tune databases for application performance
- Maintain and ensure database security through update patching and best practices
- Maintain backup policy.
- Maintain the backup mechanism and perform regular tests
- Provide and maintain scripts to automate the monitoring and cloning of databases for quick and effective fault diagnosis and where possible automated fix
- Review relevant change and custom releases for risk and impact analysis as part of the whole team to ensure a robust and efficient production system
- Create and maintain system/process documentation
- The implementation of code releases and configuration changes throughout the system life cycle
- Assist other roles such as Developers, Functional Consultants, application administrators and users with issues such as workflow, tracing of concurrent requests, real time tracing of users, patch analysis and monitoring
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.