Sitec has a requirement for a Software Product Developer for our client within the Defence industry. This is a contract role for an estimated 6 months and will be based in Stevenage. The max pay rate for this role is up to £43.00 p/hr LTD Company.
The Checkout Systems division comprises departments in UK, France and Germany. The division provides a central competence for Simulator development, on-board SW testing & engineering SW product development for spacecraft platforms, payloads and equipment.
Within the simulator domain, we are responsible for developing the data management framework RangeDB, which is used to host the satellite detailed design data model for the avionics subsystem.
In Stevenage, where this role is based, RangeDB is used to support Earth Observation, Navigation & Science missions such as ExoMars rover and Biomass.
We are looking for a Software Product Developer (3-5 years experience) with excellent technical skills in Java and practical knowledge of Object Oriented databases and Eclipse Modelling Framework to join our team as the main technical developer/maintenance support for the RangeDB SW product in the UK.
As an experienced Software Product Developer you will develop and integrate new functionality to the RangeDB database as well as provide support to the end-users on existing tool functionality.
The successful candidate will work closely with the RangeDB product Focal Point (responsible for capturing new product features and managing development/support tasks priorities). He/she will also work with the transnational RangeDB development/support community to drive the overall product development
The role is based in Stevenage. However, the candidate should be able for infrequent travel within Europe (2-3 times a year) to interact with the transnational RangeDB development community.
Database Software Product - Required Experience
* Experience with plugin development using Eclipse RCP
* Knowledge of Desktop Application/Tool development using a client/server architecture
* Knowledge of Spacecraft avionics systems would be beneficial
* Knowledge of one or more of the following data protocols (SpaceWire, MilSTD 1553, ECSS PUS, CAN) would be beneficial
Software Development Environment - Required Experience
* Experience with Object Oriented analysis & design using UML (or similar)
* Experience with Object Oriented Programming (OOP) using JAVA and Eclipse as IDE
* Experience with EMF (Eclipse Modelling Framework)
Software Development Methodologies/Tools - Required Experience
* Knowledge and thorough understanding of the software development lifecycle
* Experience with source code management using SVN/GIT
* Experience with bug-tracking systems (i.e. Redmine or other)
* Experience with Continuous Integration methods and associated tools/technologies (Jenkins)
* Experience with Test Driven Development (TDD) using junit would be beneficial
* Recent experience of JAVA
* Experience of Linux
* Well organised and able to work independently on complex tasks and see them through completion
* Able to operate effectively under pressurised project constraints
* Keen to deliver on commitments made
* Self-learner and able/willing to work with legacy software
* A logical mindset able to think through issues end to end
* Proactive in raising issues, proposing solutions
* Able to understand and express complex software designs/architecture
* Excellent communication skills and ability to adapt style to audience
EDUCATION & TRAINING
* Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or related discipline
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.