Sitec are currently looking to recruit a Senior Safety Specialist for a nuclear MoD establishment in Reading (private organisation). The post is an estimated 12 month contract and are paying competitively on an hourly basis.
Successful applicants will be required to be Security Cleared to top secret level prior to appointment and due to the nature of the projects with this client, Sitec can only accept applications from those resident in the UK for the last 10 years who hold a full British Passport. Unfortunately, dual nationals will not be considered for these positions.
Provides specialist subject matter expertise in general / industrial / nuclear / explosives safety and other major hazards associated with actual, planned and/or decommissioned facilities, plant, equipment or product. Advises on strategies for the development of safety activities (general / industrial / nuclear / explosives safety and other major hazards) in line with relevant legislation, industry standards and clients policies, procedures and guidance. Complete complex safety analyses, assessments and associated documentation.
* Provision of specialist technical expertise in carrying out their role deployments.
* Maintain and promote high personal standards in environment, safety, health, security and quality and be a great team player.
* Additional accountabilities for this job profile may be defined and appointed through the Chief Engineer Management Arrangements, with appointees listed within the Company Design Authorities and Technical Authorities, as held in the company management system.
* Ensuring that company strategies, policies and management system requirements for conventional health & safety are communicated and understood.
* Maintaining and promoting high standards in Environment, Safety, Health, Security and Quality.
* Manages the technical development and production of health & safety documentation for a project and/or portfolio.
* Support to the local ESH Improvement Plans (culture, communications, etc.).
* Progressing on associated Operational/Assurance Functional Excellence Plans (FEP), Key Performance Indicators (KPI) etc. facilitating progress, as appropriate, to needs, accountabilities and responsibilities.
* Contributing to processes/tools that assess performance of the development and use of safety activities and Licence Condition compliance and identify where improvements could be made.
* Coaching others in safety (general/industrial/nuclear/explosives safety and other major hazards) approaches and techniques.
* Promoting learning and improvement through operational briefings, toolbox talks and presentations.
* The Company may require you to fulfil any other reasonable duties aligned to your position from time to time in line with business needs.
* Provides technical input to the production of company policy, guidance and strategy.
* Maintains a proactive regulatory interface with all internal and external regulators/stakeholders.
Qualifications and / or Professional Memberships
* Level 5 Qualification e.g. NVQ Level 5 Diploma in Occupational Health & Safety Practice, NEBOSH Diploma or BSC Diploma or equivalent - Essential
* IOSH grade of CMIOSH or GradIOSH (in order to develop H&S competence through continuous professional development) - Essential
* Degree in a science or engineering based subject or vocational qualification (HND or equivalent) and/or commensurate practical experience - Desirable
* Management Degree, Diploma or Certificate - Desirable
* Positive, self-motivating and responds positively to change.
* Takes responsibility for their own decisions and understands the impacts on their area.
* Inquisitive nature and desire to drive constant improvement.
* Self-confidence to challenge long established processes and activities.
* Commitment and willingness to undertake necessary training and update knowledge as and when required including CPD.
* Lead by example, visibly demonstrating Company Values: Pride, Innovation, Excellence and Trust.
* Flexible and adaptable approach to work.
* Extensive experience in the field of general/industrial/nuclear/explosives safety.
* Experience in a nuclear, high hazard and/or highly regulated industry.
* Experience of several Domains (Management system, Front End, Project design, Commissioning, Operations, Decommissioning).
* Safety advisor experience in a high hazard environment.
* Investigation and inspection techniques.
* Aspects of emergency response in a high hazard environment.
* Customer service related tasks and duties.
* Evidence of effective team working
* Good knowledge and ability to interpret relevant legislation.
* Previous experience of dealing with external Regulator
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.