Sitec are currently looking to recruit a Senior Safety Assessment Specialist for a nuclear MoD establishment in Reading (private organisation). The posts are an initial 6 month contract and are paying competitively on an hourly basis for a 40 hour week.
Successful applicants will be required to be Security Cleared to top secret level prior to appointment and due to the nature of the projects with this client, Sitec can only accept applications from those resident in the UK for the last 10 years who hold a full British Passport. Unfortunately, dual nationals will not be considered for these positions.
To provide support to the Safety Case Manager. Responding to facility maintenance support in the production of MSRs and supporting the head of the tech centre.
Provides specialist subject matter expertise in the assessment of nuclear, explosive and other major hazards associated with actual, planned and/or decommissioned facilities, plant, equipment or product. Advises on strategies for the development of safety assessments (safety case/safety basis/risk assessments). Completes complex safety analyses, assessments and associated documentation.
* Manages the technical input to the planning and production of safety assessments and justifications.
* Take ownership and delivers safety assessments and documentation as per Nuclear Safety Management System Procedures and Standards.
* Provides technical information to the production of company policy, guidance and strategy to agreed delivery standards.
* Produces risk assessments and safety justifications for a range of facilities, including radioactive, explosives and chemical plant.
* Ensure the correct risk assessment methods and techniques are used.
* Provides technical advice for the design and/or delivery of technical training.
* Coaches graduates, early career and Safety Assessment Specialist Assessors in the use of relevant safety assessment techniques.
* Additional accountabilities for this job profile may be defined and appointed through the Chief Engineer Management Arrangements, with appointees listed within the Company Design Authorities and Technical Authorities, as held in the company management system.
* Safety documentation as directed by Head of Nuclear Safety (HONS).
* Chair HAZOP meetings.
* Produces the assessments of safety justifications, documentations as per the latest MSPs.
* Promote relevant good practice with the Safety Assessment Specialism i.e. SHAZOP, MSCR, OSCAR etc.
* Contributing to processes that assess performance of the development and use of safety assessments and Licence Condition compliance and identify where improvements could be made.
* Coaching graduates, early career and SAS Assessors in Safety Assessment approaches and techniques.
* Maintaining and promoting high standards within Security, Environment, Safety, and Health Function.
* To present and/or attend conferences on behalf of SESH and client in line with work requirements.
* To assist in verifying and checking safety documentation.
* The Company may require you to fulfil any other reasonable duties aligned to your position from time to time in line with business needs.
Qualifications and/or Professional Memberships
* Degree in a science or engineering based subject or vocational qualification (HND or equivalent) and/or extensive practical experience.
* Technical: Safety Assessment Specialists are expected to be able to undertake a range of techniques. A list of common techniques is included in the Capability Matrix. The specific skills/techniques that are required for a role/deployment will be identified as part of the tasking process. Extensive knowledge of these techniques is anticipated.
* Business Skills: Excellent interpersonal/communication skills and report and presentation skills.
* Extensive experience in the field of safety assessment for radiological, chemical and/or explosive hazards
* Experience in a nuclear, high hazard and/or highly regulated industry
* Experience of several Domains (Management system, Front End, Project design, Commissioning, Operations, Decommissioning)
* Experience of working/operating in a high hazard and/or highly regulated industry (probably nuclear).
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.