Sitec have a requirement for a Senior Engineer for the role of System Custodian - Power.
He / she will identify System or Structural Issues with regards to Design Changes, Significant Maintenance, Concessions, Safety Hazards and Defects.
This is a contract role based at our client's premises in Bristol. The estimated duration is 6 months with good hourly rates.
System Custodian - Power
For their relevant Systems or Structures, the primary purpose of the post is to capture, collate and communicate In-Service Submarine engineering Risks, Issues and Opportunities to Design Services and Project Management (DSPM) stakeholders, as well as the wider support Enterprise.
In order to achieve this, the post holder must maintain a comprehensive understanding of their respective Systems or Structures, including a working knowledge of upcoming Engineering Challenges as well as known Engineering Issues.
The Through Life Management Framework (TLMF) project shall support the post holder in understanding the Engineering Challenges associated to future Support Projects.
Applying their knowledge of Design Authority (DA) policies and requirements, the role will provide specialist analysis of the TLMF Through Life Boat Plans (TLBPs) in order to identify future Support Project Risks and Opportunities. The post holder shall generate and record meaningful TLBP Recommendations to address these Challenges for approval by the DSPM community.
The post holder shall maintain a live 'Technical Network' of key stakeholders across the In-Service Submarine support enterprise. , the post holder shall identify System or Structural Issues with regards to Design Changes, Significant Maintenance, Concessions, Safety Hazards and Defects. From this, the post holder shall be able to highlight known Risks, Issues and Opportunities; identifying and developing Business opportunities where agreed with their respective Manager.
The post holder shall also support delivery of Maritime Support Delivery Framework (MSDF) Outputs. For DS Recommendations, the post holder shall provide 'Cat&Class' supervision; reviewing, conducting or coaching Cat&Class such that any DS Recommendations are appropriately authorised with regards to technical risk.
Where this Reactive Support results in a DA or Client Design Query (Design Question, Issue or Project), the post holder shall first agree their resource commitment and approach with the relevant discipline Manager for DA Design Queries and Head of Department for Client Design Queries; ensuring that their Line Manager is informed of new Queries.
Principal Tasks and Responsibilities
- Deliver TLMF Project outputs in accordance with the Project schedule.
- Competently operate and manipulate the 'TLBP Tool' in support of generating TLBP Engineering Intelligence.
- Capture, collate and communicate engineering Risks, Issues and Opportunities associated with upcoming Engineering Challenges.
- Maintain a comprehensive 'Technical Network' of key stakeholders across the In-Service Submarine support enterprise.
- Capture, collate and communicate engineering Risks, Issues and Opportunities associated with known Engineering Failings.
- Identify improvement or business opportunities across the enterprise for DSPM intervention.
- Support delivery of MSDF Outputs where directed.
- Supervise the Cat&Class process for their respective disciplines.
- Provide Reactive Support to their respective DA and/or client where appropriate.
- Undertake Design Queries (Questions, Issues or Projects) as directed by the appropriate Manager (MoD tasking) or Head of Department (Client tasking).
Qualifications and Experience Requirements
- Support the generation of Indicative Programme Schedules (IPS) by the Advance Planning Team.
- The post holder is to hold a minimum of a second class degree or comparable academic standard in an appropriate discipline (or hold an HNC/HND with significant relevant experience).
- The post holder is to hold IEng (CEng for SC Structures) status with an appropriate Engineering Institution.
- Nuclear: Nuclear qualification to Cat B Naval Reactor Plant operator is highly desirable (not SC Structures).
- The post holder shall be able to demonstrate operating, commissioning or other relevant submarine experience (not SC Structures; who shall be able to demonstrate experience of submarine design change management, material state management, hull surveillance techniques, structural degradation and defect rectification).
- The post holder shall have extensive experience and knowledge in the delivery of In-service Submarine Support (including structure, stakeholders, operations, working practices etc) with an understanding/experience of Project Management.
- The post holder will require the ability to communicate effectively with both internal and external staff at all levels within the Submarine enterprise, including Senior Management/Directors; including written technical reports and briefs.
- Capable in the use of appropriate Project Management & IT tools (especially MS Project and Excel).
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.