Sitec are currently recruiting for a Senior Engineer (Post System Custodian - Power) for our client based in Bristol. This is a contract position for an estimated 6 months initially.
For their relevant Systems or Structures, the primary purpose of the Senior Engineer (Post System Custodian - Power) is to capture, collate and communicate In-Service Submarine engineering Risks, Issues and Opportunities to Design Services and Project Management (DSPM) stakeholders as well as the wider support Enterprise.
In order to achieve this, the post holder must maintain a comprehensive understanding of their respective Systems or Structures, including a working knowledge of upcoming Engineering Challenges as well as known Engineering Issues.
* The Through Life Management Framework (TLMF) project shall support the post holder in understanding the Engineering Challenges associated to future Support Projects. Applying their knowledge of Design Authority (DA) policies and requirements, the role will provide specialist analysis of the TLMF Through Life Boat Plans (TLBPs) in order to identify future Support Project Risks and Opportunities. The post holder shall generate and record meaningful TLBP Recommendations to address these Challenges for approval by the DSPM community.
* The post holder shall maintain a live 'Technical Network' of key stakeholders across the In-Service Submarine support enterprise.
* Exploiting this Technical Network and a close working relationship with their respective DA, the post holder shall identify System or Structural Issues with regards to Design Changes, Significant Maintenance, Concessions, Safety Hazards and Defects.
* From this, the post holder shall be able to highlight known Risks, Issues and Opportunities; identifying and developing Business opportunities where agreed with their respective Manager. Where appropriate and as directed by the post holder's Manager, the post holder shall also support delivery of Maritime Support Delivery Framework (MSDF) Outputs. For DS Recommendations, the post holder shall provide 'Cat&Class' supervision; reviewing, conducting or coaching Cat&Class such that any DS Recommendations are appropriately Authorised with regards to technical risk.
* Where appropriate and required, given the unique positioning of the role and its exposure to the aforementioned Risks, Issues and Opportunities, the post holder shall also provide some 'Reactive Support' to their respective DA, DSPM and the broader organisation. This may include providing Informal Advice at urgent meetings or providing ad hoc support to urgent tasking.
* Where this Reactive Support results in a DA or the clients Design Query (Design Question, Issue or Project), the post holder shall first agree their resource commitment and approach with the relevant discipline Manager for DA Design Queries and Head of Department for the clients Design Queries; ensuring that their Line Manager is informed of new Queries.
PRINCIPAL TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Deliver TLMF Project outputs in accordance with the Project schedule.
* Competently operate and manipulate the 'TLBP Tool' in support of generating TLBP Engineering Intelligence.
* Capture, collate and communicate engineering Risks, Issues and Opportunities associated with upcoming Engineering Challenges.
* Maintain a comprehensive 'Technical Network' of key stakeholders across the In-Service Submarine support enterprise.
* Capture, collate and communicate engineering Risks, Issues and Opportunities associated with known Engineering Failings.
* Identify improvement or business opportunities across the enterprise for DSPM intervention.
* Support delivery of MSDF Outputs where directed.
* Supervise the Cat&Class process for their respective disciplines.
* Provide Reactive Support to their respective DA and/or the client where appropriate.
* Undertake Design Queries (Questions, Issues or Projects) as directed by the appropriate Manager (MoD tasking) or Head of Department).
* Provide a record of key System Custodian actions in the System Custodian Achievements Log.
* Support the generation of Indicative Programme Schedules (IPS) by the Advance Planning Team.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
* The post holder is to hold a minimum of a second class degree or comparable academic standard in an appropriate discipline (or hold a HNC/HND with significant relevant experience).
* The post holder is to hold IEng (CEng for SC Structures) status with an appropriate Engineering Institution.
* Nuclear qualification to Cat B Naval Reactor Plant operator is highly desirable (not SC Structures).
* The post holder shall be able to demonstrate operating, commissioning or other relevant submarine experience (not SC Structures; who shall be able to demonstrate experience of submarine design change management, material state management, hull surveillance techniques, structural degradation and defect rectification).
* The post holder shall have extensive experience and knowledge in the delivery of In-service Submarine Support (including structure, stakeholders, operations, working practices etc) with an understanding/experience of Project Management.
* The post holder will require the ability to communicate effectively with both internal and external staff at all levels within the Submarine enterprise, including Senior Management/Directors; including written technical reports and briefs.
* Capable in the use of appropriate Project Management & IT tools (especially MS Project and Excel).
Successful applicants will need a background to enable a SC Security Clearance
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.