Sitec has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Engineer for our client Perkins Engines, at their facility in Peterborough. This is a contract role, for an estimated 12 months initially.
To serve as an experienced, individual contributor on projects and assignments that are complex in nature and that support and enhance Caterpillar product performance, durability, reliability, quality, and serviceability.
* This position represents the journey level position for engineering related functions. The key role of a Sr. Engineer is that of an individual contributor. This position will be accountable for contributing to the identification, analysis, and resolution of needs and problems in a discipline for which the incumbent is beginning to build a reputation as an expert. This position performs complex analysis work, identifies and resolves problems. Although this position may be the transition from individual contributor to team leadership, the major focus of the job is on technical delivery. Incumbents may work more directly with different units, suppliers, customers, and/or other teams and begin enhancing general and business skills. This requires the ability to communicate technical information in a concise and accurate manner. Decisions may significantly impact on: product performance, durability, quality, reliability, and serviceability; negotiations with suppliers; leveraging new technologies; warranty; total cost of non-quality; costs; sales; and customer perception.
* Success factors for the Sr. Engineer include demonstrating excellent analytical skills and a mastery of engineering concepts. Major challenges facing incumbents are meeting goals for cost, reliability, and performance, and managing multiple priorities. This position must keep up-to-date on changing customer needs as the project progresses, stay current with new technology, and provide guidance and direction on the project to less experienced engineers, technologists, and technicians. Incumbents may be expected to bear significant responsibility for completion of a project with major focus on delivery.
* Sr. Engineers may expect to have direct contact with products, machines, or components while working in the field or at customer sites or may have direct contact with suppliers and customers to develop processes or resolve problems. Key areas of responsibility encountered in this role may include any or all of the following: evaluate products and processes; perform needs analysis and initiate ideas; perform product maintenance; keep up to date on new technologies or develop new technologies; communicate technical information to dealers, customers, team members, suppliers, and other units; support and advise other engineers, managers, marketing personnel, dealers, customers, and suppliers; and develop and maintain keen understanding of internal and external customers' needs.
* Sr. Engineers must manage their own development, continuously learning through experience and staying abreast of technology. Key skills to be developed at this level are data extraction/analysis, failure analysis and problem solving, application of simulation tools and methods, and practical application of theory and concepts.
* Requires a bachelor degree in an accredited Engineering, Computer Science, or Materials Science curriculum plus 9-12 years of experience or a masters degree in an Engineering, Computer Science, or Materials Science curriculum plus 6-8 years of experience or a doctorate degree plus 1 to 2 years of experience.
* Incumbents must have demonstrated excellent analytical skills and the ability to perform complex assignments.
* Requires a self-starter with strong technical leadership skills.
* Must have ability to communicate technical information effectively with team members and others in the work group, as well employees in other units, customers, and suppliers.
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.