Sitec has exciting opportunities for a Senior Engineer for our client Caterpillar, at their facility in Peterborough. This is a contract role, for an estimated 12 months initially.
For nearly 90 years, Caterpillar Inc. has been making sustainable progress possible and driving positive change on every continent. Customers turn to Caterpillar to help them develop infrastructure, energy and natural resource assets. With 2015 sales and revenues of $47 billion, Caterpillar is the world's leading manufacturer of construction and mining equipment, diesel and natural gas engines, industrial gas turbines and diesel-electric locomotives. The company principally operates through its three product segments - Resource Industries, Construction Industries and Power Systems - and also provides financing and related services through its Financial Products segment.
Caterpillar has over 1,000 qualified engineers in the UK engaged in product research and development, and application engineering related activities. Our operations in Peterborough, Leicester, Peterlee and Larne (Northern Ireland) are key product design centres.
The UK is recognized as a major centre of engineering services for Caterpillar worldwide, and as a result we have well developed relationships with several leading UK universities such as Cambridge, City, Loughborough, Imperial College and Queens Belfast.
As one of the six founding corporate members of the UK Energy Technologies Institute (ETI), Caterpillar in the UK is at the forefront of accelerating the development, demonstration and eventual commercial deployment of a focused portfolio of energy technologies. These advancements will increase energy efficiency, reduce GHG emissions and achieve energy and climate change goals
Purpose of role:
The Senior Engineer will serve as a consultant and technical expert on projects and assignments that make significant contributions relating to Caterpillar's core technologies. Candidates will become recognised as one of the best in Caterpillar in their technical speciality and may lead revolutionary technology change.
This position is part of a team of engineers responsible for the development of Caterpillar's engine/powertrain products and processes. The engines are used in machine, industrial, marine and electric power applications.
In this role you will apply engine simulation tools to powertrain and machine design and performance development. As such you will be expected to work closely with internal and external customers in the mechanical and performance development groups and present engineering decisions at design and project reviews. You will provide technical leadership in your specialist field(s) and mentor less experienced engineers. The candidate must demonstrate the ability to develop and manage projects to plan.
* Generate and validate system level, thermodynamic and/or 1-D gas dynamic models
* Providing engineering guidance based on performing powertrain level simulations
* Self-management of assigned tasks to agreed customer critical requirements, delivering high quality work to documented or novel processes within agreed timescales
* Close liaison with performance and mechanical development engineers, engine designers and project teams
* Process improvements and new process development in response to current and future customer needs
* Support, advise and mentor less experienced engineers
* Evaluate and Promote new products and processes
* Requires a good accredited engineering degree (2:1 or above) or equivalent and excellent analytical skills. A higher level degree would be advantageous.
* Incumbents must have industrial experience in vehicle and/or machine performance simulation, understanding how engines interact within vehicle systems.
* Detailed diesel engines and/or powertrain knowledge would be advantageous.
* The candidate must have strong technical skills and the ability to communicate technical information effectively.
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.