Sitec has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Design Engineer - Rotating Electrics for our client Perkins Engines, at their facility in Peterborough. This is a contract role, for an estimated 12 months initially.
Caterpillar Inc is the world's leading manufacturer of off-highway machinery and diesel and natural gas engines. The Caterpillar brand is recognised worldwide and is synonymous with quality and reliability.
Within Caterpillar, Advanced Components and Technology is responsible for electronic and electrical systems development across all CAT engine and machine platforms. Based in Peterborough, the European Division of CAT Electronics works with all CAT's European facilities to develop and apply advanced technology to the control of our highly integrated engines and machines. With unrivalled levels of vertical integration within the industry, CAT Electronics' systems help to maximise the customer value and efficiency of Caterpillar's end products, whilst minimising owning and operating costs.
The Senior Design Engineer - Rotating Electrics will join the Compact Engine Systems team and will take responsibility for development activities on starter motors and alternators for various Caterpillar and Perkins brand engine ranges.
Each project offers the opportunity to work on the latest rotating electrics, supporting the development of engines designed to meet the latest emissions legislation, with world-class levels of quality and reliability. You will be part of a small, friendly team working together to deliver programmes that are critical to the long-term success of a respected, global company.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE SENIOR DESIGN ENGINEER - ROTATING ELECTRICS:
* Planning and executing the development of rotating electric components for the application on Caterpillar machines and engines.
* Working directly with the customer to understand and document component requirements.
* Working with suppliers to identify and source components to meet the programme requirements.
* Conducting FMEA on components and systems to identify and address design risks and determine validation needs.
* Working with the validation team to plan and execute validation activities.
* Conducting component and system design reviews to obtain 'buy-in' from the business to selected components, designs and suppliers.
* Monitoring Rotating Electrics system and component quality levels against targets, identifying improvement opportunities and leading projects to implement improvements.
Through this role, the successful candidate will have an excellent opportunity to take part in, and have significant responsibility for, the end-to-end development process for modern rotating electric components. This gives our employees true product ownership and the opportunity to see their products through to volume production.
* Strong technical background - ideally a good technical degree in mechanical, electronic, electrical, control systems or automotive engineering - though consideration will be given to other qualifications or significant relevant experience in lieu of this.
* Prior experience in engine component development preferably gained on starters, alternators or starting and charging systems
* Good understanding of component development and validation
* Good leadership skills
* Strong team player
* Excellent communications skills
* Strong customer focus
* Experience of running and participating in FMEA
* Experience of designing and executing verification and validation test plans for rotating electric components.
* Experience of writing technical document / requirements / test plans
This is an office based role. The role will ideally suit someone from an Electrical, Electronic or Mechanical Engineering background, within the automotive or engines sector
The max rate for this role is £37.00 p/hr LTD Company
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.