Sitec has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Controls/ Systems Integration Engineer for our client Perkins Engines, at their site in Peterborough. This is a contract role, for an estimated 12 months initially.
For nearly 90 years, Caterpillar Inc. has been making sustainable progress possible and driving positive change on every continent. Customers turn to Caterpillar to help them develop infrastructure, energy and natural resource assets. With 2015 sales and revenues of $47 billion, Caterpillar is the world's leading manufacturer of construction and mining equipment, diesel and natural gas engines, industrial gas turbines and diesel-electric locomotives. The company principally operates through its three product segments - Resource Industries, Construction Industries and Power Systems - and also provides financing and related services through its Financial Products segment.
This is a controls and systems integration role within the European Division of the Energy and Transportation Systems Research Group based at our Peterborough Facility. This team is responsible for developing novel engineering solutions and processes working collaboratively with European Universities, internal and industrial partners as well as will our US based sister team. The team leads the powertrain research strategy and delivery for Caterpillar within Europe.
The Senior Engineer will serve as a consultant and technical expert on projects and assignments that make significant contributions relating to Caterpillar's core technologies. Candidates will become recognised as one of the best in Caterpillar in their technical speciality and may lead revolutionary technology change. In addition to demonstrating a mastery of engineering concepts, this position will be expected to lead projects or programmes to completion.
This position is part of a team of engineers responsible for the development Caterpillar's engine/powertrain products and processes. The engines are used in machine, industrial, marine and electric power applications.
In this role you will analyse engine and vehicle fundamentals, their interactions and propose control system strategies to meet customer requirements. As such you will be expected to work closely with internal and external customers in the mechanical and performance development groups and present engineering decisions at design and project reviews. You will demonstrate your solutions initially through simulation and HiL in combination with physical test. You will provide technical leadership in your specialist field(s) and mentor less experienced engineers. The candidate must demonstrate the ability to develop and manage projects to plan.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE SENIOR CONTROLS/ SYSTEMS INTEGRATION ENGINEER
* Technical leadership in one or more of: Systems Integration and Controls Development
* Evaluate and Promote new products and processes
* Contribute to establishing strategies for new process and product programs
* Identify gaps, initiate ideas and turn into new projects, gain consensus then develop and manage the project/programmes to the plan
* Keep up to date on new technologies or develop new technologies; communicate technology to customers, team members, suppliers and other units
* Support and advise other engineers, managers, marketing personnel, dealers, customers and suppliers; mentor, coach and develop others; represent company externally
Overview of Experience
* Requires a good accredited engineering degree (2:1 or above) or equivalent experience and excellent analytical skills, a higher level degree would be advantageous.
* The candidate will have demonstrated leadership of complex projects to plan.
* The incumbent must have strong technical skills, be a leader in their technical speciality and ability to communicate technical information effectively at all levels.
* have a high level of competency in the use of data-analysis tools (e.g. Excel, Minitab, Matlab/Simulink etc.)
* demonstrate the ability to interpret data, identify quality issues and understand performance interactions
* have the potential to develop or improve analysis tools
* Understand requirements of embedded controls models, HiL and Hierarchical Model Interface (HMI) methods
* be a technical specialist is one or more of the following: Systems Integration and Controls Development
* demonstrate knowledge of engine or transmission fundamentals in order to develop improved models and analyses novel concepts
* have an understanding of underlying theoretical principles of Advanced Control Methods.
* have the ability to take the lead in technical discussions, to specify component requirements and to understand the interactions which influence engine performance
Candidates would ideally:
* should candidates not have the knowledge of Matlab/ Simulink - the client may consider knowledge of HiL testing, or using Labview or dSPACE
* have the ability to use 'design of experiments' software (e.g. Design Expert, AVL Cameo) to create mathematical response models
* demonstrate an understanding of measurement tolerances and instrumentation requirements
* be familiar with 1-D simulation tools (e.g. Dynasty, GT-Power, Wave, AmeSIM)
* demonstrate in-depth understanding of diesel combustion fundamentals, air systems, fuel systems, hydraulic, electrical power or control systems
Up to £39.00 p/hr
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.