Sitec a Belcan Company are seeking a Safety Engineer for our client in the Marine and Technology sector in Plymouth Devon. This is a contract role estimated at 12 months in duration.
Our client is a leader in a range of engineering and technical skills in providing through-life services and deep maintenance to the Royal Navy's major warships and nuclear-powered submarines; naval base services, equipment manufacture and logistic support services and design and technology-led program's.
Energy & Marine is a business unit within the Marine Division, providing naval architecture, marine, system engineering, electrical engineering design and project support services to the offshore, marine and defence markets worldwide. Naval Engineering have vast experience in engineering, construction, concept design and through life support for a wide range of front line naval and auxiliary support vessels.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Experience and Competences
The Safety Engineer is required to have an extensive engineering background in a relevant discipline and experience of safety and environmental assessment/management processes that is specifically directed towards systems or product safety and environmental assessment (as opposed to health and safety management).
Main Purpose of Role
* Provide professional safety and environmental engineering support to surface ship, submarine and commercial projects.
* Provide safety and environmental case input to non-conformances and design changes for specified systems.
* Support other members of SEG in developing non-nuclear safety and environmental assessments or cases.
* Plan and control of work to time, cost and quality.
* Assist in the production of and eventually own and control safety and environmental cases.
Key Technical Skills and Experience:
* Extensive operating background in UK submarines, Cat A or B NSRP watch keeper
* Experience of working with MOD processes and publications, in particular: POSMS, POEMS, DSA01 & 02, JSP 430, JSP 418 & Def Stan 00-56;
* Authoring of Technical Reports
* Chairmanship and recording of Technical meetings;
* Experience of constructing a safety argument in accordance with the First Sea Lord's Safety Argument, Goal Structured Notation, and Claims/Argument/Evidence etc.
* Experience of facilitating/undertaking Hazard Identification and Assessment exercises.
* Experienced in multidisciplinary engineering environment.
* Category A or B submarine NSRP watch keeping certificate
* Ideally, degree qualified but HND/HNC level qualification in an engineering discipline with extensive experience in relevant field will be considered
* Good presentational, written, analytical and IT skills;
* Preferably already hold the Defence Maritime Regulator's (DMR) Ship Safety & Environmental Management Training (SEMT) or Ship Safety Management Office (SSMO) Certification (training will be arranged if required);
* Knowledge and experience of conventional non-nuclear safety engineering in accordance with Def Stan 0056 (Safety Management for Defence Systems), DSA01.1 Defence Policy for Health, Safety and Environmental Protection, DSA02-DMR - MOD Shipping Regulations for Safety and Environmental Protection, JSP 430 (MoD Ship Safety Manual) and JSP 418 MOD Corporate Environmental Protection Manual;
* Knowledge of environmental issues & legislation would be an advantage.
Must hava background that will allow Security Clearance to be obtained
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.