Sitec are currently looking to recruit a Safety Assessment Specialist for a nuclear MoD establishment in Reading (private organisation). The post is an initial 6 month contract and is paying competitively on an hourly basis. The role can either be part time at 20 hours or full time of 40 hours per week.
Successful applicants will be required to be Security Cleared to top secret level prior to appointment and due to the nature of the projects with this client, Sitec can only accept applications from those resident in the UK for the last 10 years who hold a full British Passport. Unfortunately, dual nationals will not be considered for these positions.
To provide explosives safety assessment specialist support. In particular to produce the explosive assessments to support the modifications and demonstrate that the modified equipment will meet CEA & client safety standards and requirements for the Full Scale and Scaled trials post breakthrough.
Undertakes analyses in support of the assessment of nuclear, explosive and other major hazards associated with actual, planned and/or decommissioned facilities, plant, equipment or product. Follows agreed strategies for the development of safety assessments (safety case/safety basis/risk assessments). Completes safety analyses, assessments and associated documentation.
* Produces safety assessments and other technical inputs to safety documentation/ justification (safety cases, proportional safety assessments, risk assessments, PRS etc.) to agreed delivery and quality standards.
* Provides technical input to the production of company policy, guidance and strategy to agreed delivery and quality standards.
* Provides technical analyses in support of safety assessments, to agreed delivery and quality standards.
* Additional accountabilities for this job profile may be defined and appointed through the Chief Engineer Management Arrangements, with appointees listed within the Company Design Authorities and Technical Authorities, as held in the company management system.
* Ensuring that company strategies, policies and management system requirements for safety are communicated and understood.
* Contributing to processes that assess performance of the development and use of safety assessments and Licence Condition compliance and identify where improvements could be made.
* Maintaining and promoting high standards in Environment, Safety, Health, Security and Quality.
* Carry out duties of the HAZOP Secretary (after training).
* To represent and attend conferences and presentations on behalf of SESH and client with a view of expanded knowledge and possible taking a further step towards chartership.
* Take minutes at meetings as directed by HONS. (NSC, WSC, ONR etc.).
* To training graduates / early career in techniques as set out in the Capability Matrix.
* The Company may require you to fulfil any other reasonable duties aligned to your position from time to time in line with business needs.
Qualifications and/or Professional Memberships
* Degree in a science or engineering based subject or vocational qualification (HND or equivalent) and/or extensive practical experience.
* Technical: Safety Assessment Specialists are expected to be able to undertake a range of techniques. A list of common techniques is included in the Capability Matrix. The specific skills / techniques that are required for a role/deployment will be identified as part of the tasking process. Some experiences of implementation is anticipated.
* Business Skills: Good report writing and presentation skills
* Some experience in the field of safety assessment for radiological, chemical and/or explosive hazards
* Experience in high hazard and/or highly regulated industry
Explosives safety experience (preferred)
* Experience of working / operating in a high hazard environment.
* Knowledge of current health and safety legislation and the ONR licensing regime
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.