Sitec are currently recruiting for a prestigious Engineering company who specialise in the Naval/Marine Engineering and Support Industry and are seeking 2 Safety and Environmental Engineers to be based on Devonport Dockyard Plymouth on a contract basis for an estimated 6 months initially.
Overall Department Direction
Babcock Energy and Marine (E&M) Safety Engineering Group (SEG) provides safety and environmental engineering management services for surface ships, submarine and commercial projects but excluding those with a nuclear implication.
Main Purpose of the Safety and Environmental Engineers Role:
* Provide professional safety and environmental engineering support to surface ship, submarine and commercial projects;
* Provide safety and environmental case input to non-conformances and design changes for specified systems;
* Support other members of SEG in developing non-nuclear safety and environmental assessments or cases;
* Plan and control of work to time, cost and quality;
* Provide expertise and support in own engineering specialisation to other members of the safety team;
* Assist in the production of and eventually own and control safety and environmental cases.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Experience and Competences The Safety Engineer is required to have an extensive engineering background in a relevant discipline and experience of safety and environmental assessment/management processes that is specifically directed towards systems or product safety and environmental assessment (as opposed to health and safety management).
Key Technical Skills and Experience required of the Safety and Environmental Engineers:
* Extensive engineering background in a relevant field;
* Experience of working with MOD processes and publications, in particular: POSMS, POEMS, DSA01 & 02, JSP 430, JSP 418 & Def Stan 00-56;
* Authoring of Technical Reports;
* Chairmanship and recording of Technical meetings;
* Experience of constructing a safety argument in accordance with the First Sea Lord's Safety Argument, Goal Structured Notation, and Claims/Argument/Evidence etc.
* Experience of facilitating/undertaking Hazard Identification and Assessment exercises using some or all of the following:
o Structured What If Technique (SWIFT)
o Hazard and Operability Studies (HazOpS)
o Fault Tree Analysis
o Event Tree Analysis
o Failure Mode Effect & (Criticality) Analysis (FME(C)A)
* Good knowledge of Naval Engineering in RN ships and/or submarines would be advantageous;
* Experienced in multidisciplinary engineering environment.
Key Leadership/Management Skills required of the Safety and Environmental Engineers:
* Good people management skills;
* Good team player but able to plan and work alone;
* Prepared and able to make decisions in own sphere of responsibility.
Key Interpersonal and Behavioural Skills
* Displays flexibility, enthusiasm, drive and commitment;
* Professional in all actions;
* Good influencing skills and customer focus;
* Committed to ensuring design safety and prepared to challenge output when required;
* Desire to learn new skills in support of role;
Qualifications required of the Safety and Environmental Engineers:
* Ideally degree qualified but HND/HNC level qualification in an engineering discipline with extensive experience in relevant field will be considered;
* Good presentational, written, analytical and IT skills;
* Preferably already hold the Defence Maritime Regulator's (DMR) Ship Safety & Environmental Management Training (SEMT) or Ship Safety Management Office (SSMO) Certification (training will be arranged if required);
* Knowledge and experience of conventional non-nuclear safety engineering in accordance with Def Stan 0056 (Safety Management for Defence Systems), DSA01.1 Defence Policy for Health, Safety and Environmental Protection, DSA02-DMR - MOD Shipping Regulations for Safety and Environmental Protection, JSP 430 (MoD Ship Safety Manual) and JSP 418 MOD Corporate Environmental Protection Manual;
* Ideally you will be a member of a relevant institution (e.g. IMechE, RINA, IET, SARS etc.) and hold Chartered or Incorporated status (or be working towards);
* Knowledge of environmental issues & legislation would be an advantage.
Consideration will also be given to those who may not meet all the requirements outlined above but are willing to undertake further development and training as required.
Candidates must be eligible to obtain UK security clearance.
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.