Sitec has a requirement for a Proving Test Technician to work for our client Perkins Engines in Peterborough. This is a contract role for an estimated 12 months.
The rate of pay will be between £10.00 to £14.10 p/hr PAYE (dependent on experience)
For more than 85 years, Caterpillar has been building the world's infrastructure and, in partnership with our network of Cat® dealers worldwide, has helped drive positive and sustainable change on every continent. We are a global company, with hundreds of locations worldwide to serve and support our customer base, and respond quickly to their needs.
Perkins Engines, a wholly owned subsidiary of Caterpillar Inc., is recognised as a leading manufacturer of industrial diesel engines. OEM Manufacturers and users on every continent have, for generations, trusted Perkins Engines to power their world.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Proving Test Technician to join our team and have a direct impact on the success of our 3rd Party engine install team. As part of our L5/L6 team in Global Engine Development (GED), you will be involved in a variety of engine installation projects into off-highway machines. Primarily covering mechanical and electrical engine to machine integration, shakedown and test. The role is based in our Europe Research & Development Centre at the Caterpillar Business Park, Peterborough, UK.
The Proving Test Technician will be working in more of a diverse role, potentially moving onto different projects during this contract.
Ideally, our client is looking for a team player, ideally from an off-highway / heavy machinery background.
The team is comprised of 40 which are split into 3 teams. The successful candidate will working with 15 team members within a workshop environment.
Duties may include, but are not limited to:
* Adhere to the Organisation's health and safety policy and safe working practices.
* Adhere to Caterpillar's Values in Action: Integrity, Commitment, Excellence, Teamwork & Sustainability
* Follow documented standard work procedures/instructions to perform safe and defect free assembly of parts and components, using various hand, power tools and lifting equipment provided in the work area
* Follow and work to Engineers instructions to install prototype, pilot and production engines into machines.
* Operate a multitude of different off-highway vehicles including but not limited to, Hydraulic Excavators, Back hoe Loaders, Telehandlers, Track Type Tractors where required.
* Instrument engine installations with, thermocouples, pressure transducers, speed pickups, data loggers and other instrumentation.
* Diagnose and fix a range of faults on both engine and machine.
* Work from engineering drawings (electrical, mechanical and hydraulic)
* Manufacture parts from drawings using in house facilities (machining, welding and fabrication and fully equipped electronics lab).
* Produce electrical looms to interface engine and machine.
* Travel to various off site test and development facilities both CAT owned and 3rd Party (some overseas).
* Engage constructively with designers and engineers within Perkins/Caterpillar and their customers.
* Keep the work area clean, tidy and safe in line with 5S and total preventative maintenance (TPM)
* Undertake training and further learning as required.
Skills, experience & qualifications you will have;
* Demonstrable high level of mechanical, hydraulic and electrical/electronic aptitude with a good working knowledge of engines and machines.
* The ability to read, comprehend and follow verbal and written instructions/procedures.
* The ability to work closely with others is imperative, requiring team participation to achieve the agreed objectives.
* A good working knowledge of instrumentation and its application.
* Effective communication skills to liaise with various levels of the organization.
* Have a fully flexible approach to the job role & responsibilities.
* The ability to use hand/power tools, lifting and welding equipment.
* Prepared to undertake required training/learning.
* Applicants will ideally have an engineering or motor mechanics apprenticeship and some relevant work experience.
* Working towards or completed some form of relevant higher education (NVQ Level 3).
* Good PC skills ability to use Microsoft Office and CAT designed software.
Skills, experience & qualifications you may have;
* Good machine/engine hydraulic, electrical, mechanical and diagnostic/problem solving skills.
* Previous experience in maintenance repair of off-highway vehicles and/or large goods vehicles
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.