Sitec has an interesting opportunity for a Proving Test Technician for our client based in Peterborough. This is a contract position for an estimated 6 months and the rate of pay is negotiable dependent on experience.
For more than 85 years, Caterpillar has been building the world's infrastructure and, in partnership with their network of Cat® dealers worldwide, has helped drive positive and sustainable change on every continent. They are a global company, with hundreds of locations worldwide to serve and support their customer base, and respond quickly to their needs.
Perkins Engines, a wholly owned subsidiary of Caterpillar Inc., is recognised as a leading manufacturer of industrial diesel engines. OEM Manufacturers and users on every continent have, for generations, trusted Perkins Engines to power their world.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Proving Test Technician to join our clients team and have a direct impact on the success of our 3rd Party engine install team. As part of our L5/L6 team in Global Engine Development (GED), you will be involved in a variety of engine installation projects into off-highway machines. Primarily covering mechanical and electrical engine to machine integration, shakedown and test. The role is based in our Europe Research & Development Centre at the Caterpillar Business Park, Peterborough, UK.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
* Adhere to the Organisation's health and safety policy and safe working practices.
* Adhere to Caterpillar's Values in Action: Integrity, Commitment, Excellence, Teamwork & Sustainability
* Follow documented standard work procedures/instructions to perform safe and defect free assembly of parts and components, using various hand, power tools and lifting equipment provided in the work area
* Follow and work to Engineers instructions to install prototype, pilot and production engines into machines.
* Operate a multitude of different off-highway vehicles including but not limited to, Hydraulic Excavators, Back hoe Loaders, Telehandlers, Track Type Tractors where required.
* Instrument engine installs with, thermocouples, pressure transducers, speed pickups and other forms of sensors.
* Diagnose and fix a range of faults on both engine and machine.
* Work from engineering drawings (electrical, mechanical and hydraulic)
* Manufacture parts from drawings using in house facilities (machining, welding and fabrication and fully equipped electronics lab).
* Produce electrical looms to interface engine and machine.
* Travel to various off site test and development facilities both CAT owned and 3rd Party (some overseas).
* Keep the work area clean, tidy and safe in line with 5S and total preventative maintenance (TPM)
* Undertake training and further learning as required.
Skills, experience & qualifications you will have;
* Demonstrable high level of mechanical, hydraulic and electrical/electronic aptitude with a good working knowledge of engines and machines.
* The ability to read, comprehend and follow verbal and written instructions/procedures.
* The ability to work closely with others is imperative, requiring team participation to achieve the agreed objectives.
* A good working knowledge of instrumentation and its application.
* You will possess effective communication skills to liaise with various levels of the organization.
* Have a fully flexible approach to the job role & responsibilities.
* The ability to use hand/power tools, lifting and welding equipment.
* Prepared to undertake required training/learning.
* Applicants will ideally have an engineering or motor mechanics apprenticeship and some relevant work experience.
* Working towards or completed some form of relevant higher education (NVQ Level 3).
* Good PC skills ability to use Microsoft Office and CAT designed software.
Skills, experience & qualifications you may have;
* Good machine/engine hydraulic, electrical, mechanical and diagnostic/problem solving skills.
* Previous experience in maintenance repair of off-highway vehicles and/or large goods vehicles
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.