Sitec has a requirement for a Project Engineer - Electrical for our client based in Chippenham. This is a contract role expected to be ongoing.
The role of Project Engineer - Electrical, is for an electrical-bias interface engineer that forms a critical link between R&D and Project Delivery. The role will be focused on the design and development of innovative new enclosures and frameworks for electronic equipment for use on-board locomotives and on the trackside.
* Design of electromechanical products for signalling including high precision electronic enclosures/packaging and mechanical mechanisms
* Provide a technical interface for both internal and external customers
* Responsible to the preparation of concepts general layout drawings details and 3D CAD models, with the support of design draftsmen
* Responsible for detail development of design elements, using Lean principles, incorporating mechanical analysis and verification testing. Activities includes:
* Proving structural calculations
* Material properties comparison and selection
* Environmental condition testing
* Bench trials and functional testing
* Formal verification testing and reports
* Technical aid to Safety Engineers in the preparation of Product Safety Case and supporting safety analyses
* Ensuring designs meet all relevant safety legislation requirements
* Design rework support of obsolete products and parts of products
* Production of product documentation and manufacturing information
* Detailed knowledge of electrical/electronic packaging (custom enclosures, housings, cable/connector interfaces) and thermal/EMC solutions
* Sound mechanical engineering knowledge, with concept design, detailing and manufacturing methods, with detailed knowledge of sheet metal fabrication
* Strong analytical skills, including thermal management, stress, friction, tolerance build-up, validation testing and an appreciation of EMC
* 5-7 years post-graduate experience in a low/medium volume manufacturing environment
* Self-motivated and commercially astute
* Experience of 3D and 2D CAD tools (ideally SolidWorks)
* Knowledge of safety engineering an advantage
* Excellent communication skills with an understanding of task and time management
* Experience with high-end CAE / CAD tools such as Zuken CR5000 and SolidWorks.
* Understanding of data transmission and signal integrity layout issues.
* Understanding of the rigorous requirements of a safety-critical environment.
* Membership of a professional institution, preferably with Chartered engineer status.
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.