Sitec currently have an opportunity for a Production Database Administrator to join our client based in Newcastle. This is a contract role for an initial 6 months and has a pay rate of £50-£60p/hr Ltd DOE.
We are looking for Production Oracle Database Administrators to provide night and weekend/bank holiday support in addition to periods of standard working allowing for team integration, continuous improvement activities and on-going training. Applicants will be reliable, motivated and self-sufficient, able to work to instructions, make decisions and implement service fixes whilst under pressure, reporting to a Service Delivery Manager who will liaise with the customer. BAU/routine DBA activities will also form part of the role. In addition an element of networking, SAN and connectivity knowledge is required to support diagnosis of issues. Full training in the services and the role will be provided plus the regular opportunity to integrate with the rest of the team.
ON CALL ROTA:
When On Call, you will need to be at home, or another agreed secure place, with secure Wi-Fi connectivity and the ability to commence work on an Incident within 15 minutes of being alerted. You will be provided with secure laptops and mobile phones. When On Call you will be contacted by phone to alert you of an Incident and a Service Delivery Manager will manage the Incident and co-ordinate with the customer. Over the longer term on-call for additional support services may be added to the role and full training will be given as required.
Evening/Weekend on call work, will be covered by three support staff each on call for one week out of three except if required to cover sickness/holiday within the team.
On Call hours are: 18:00-08:00 Monday to Friday and 24x7 Weekends and Bank Holidays.
One week in three you will be expected to undertake 37 hours of routine BAU work in the office to allow for team integration, continuous improvement activities and training (including post-Incident reviews) or cover for annual leave/sickness.
The final week out of three will be office based also can be used for holiday and or time in lieu depending on the scale of any On Call activities - all to be agreed with your line manager. In addition, this can be holiday/sickness cover as required. Your own holidays can be taken outside of this week, up to your agreed annual allocation, assuming cover can be arranged.
- At least 5 years Oracle Database Administrator/Production Support experience
- Experience of RAC, Oracle 12 and above, backup and recovery procedures
- Spatial, compression and portioning experience would be an advantage
- Dataguard, Cloud, SQLServer and Postgres experience an advantage
- Understanding of ITIL best practice and ability to follow ITIL processes and procedures
SCOM experience would be beneficial
- Out of Hours support experience welcome, but not essential
- SC clearance will need to be applied for however candidates can come in through BPSS clearance to start with.
DESCRIPTION / MISSION
- The DBAs primary role is:
- To provide DBA support related to an Incident under the guidance of the Service Delivery Manager (SDM)
- To provide routine DBA input/resource into system operation/maintenance
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Provide the business with Oracle database experience
- To provide the SDM will technical information relating to support decisions including the decision to failover in a BCDR scenario
- React to incidents, including but not limited to performance issues, account lockouts, availability/capacity issues, stopping and starting database services and provide DBA advice and guidance to the SDM. Handover to/from other DBA resources as shifts change. Document fixes/knowledge base articles and pass knowledge to others as required.
- Ensure all Service Desk calls are recorded effectively in the call logging systems
- Routine activities such as database patching (DBMS), monitoring, test restore/backups, general DBA maintenance; related to both production and internal systems
- To provide input to networking, SAN and connectivity issues; full training will be given as required
- Working with your line manager to ensure skills are maintained to support future requirements
- A combination of Out of hours 18:00-08:00 and weekends/bank holidays and office based activities
- Customer Focus
- Solution Knowledge
- Discipline Knowledge
- Teamwork - working cooperatively with others, as part of the immediate team and across functions to meet business objectives.
- Impact & Influence - persuading, convincing and impressing others internal to the organisation to get them to support your agenda in the interests of the business.
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.