Sitec currently have an opportunity for a Power Systems Engineer to join our client based in Hampshire. This is a contract role for an initial 12 months with extension likely. The pay rate for this opportunity is £400p/day Ltd.
Description of the Job
Our RPAS capability is at the leading edge of technology, and continuously looking for improvements and new developments to enhance this HAPS (High Altitude Pseudo Satellite) platform.
The role of the Power System Engineer is to contribute technical and engineering expertise into the development and delivery of fit-for-purpose power sub-system solutions suitable for recurring production and operation of our aircraft.
As part of the Power team, you will
- Work as part of multidisciplinary product engineering teams, and with the wider aircraft system and sub-system teams to develop and deliver safe and cost effective electrical power sub-system solutions to time, cost and quality.
[Comprising battery assemblies; solar arrays; power management electronics and bespoke test equipment and other Ground Support Equipment to handle and process the hardware].
- Work with both internal and external stakeholders, to develop solutions that will satisfy regulatory safety requirements within a flight operations and aircraft maintenance environment.
Tasks and Accountabilities
- As part of Multidisciplinary Product Teams, be responsible for the functional and performance aspects of design solutions; including supporting wider design trade-off activities with respect to quality, risk and cost.
- Provide power system technology expertise into the definition of …
- Effective engineering plans of work (encompassing design; development; and verification phases).
- End user instructions (encompassing transportation; storage; handling; operation and disposal).
- Lead own work packages, as tasked, as part of the execution and delivery of power sub-system development projects, including…
- the development of associated Ground Support Equipment; development tools and test equipment necessary to process, implement and utilise the power system design solutions;
- the transition of solutions into recurring production and flight line operations.
- Act as Design Authority for power sub-system design solutions as formally delegated by the System Design Authority.
- Provide technical support to …
- aircraft system level teams in the overall design optimisation of the RPAS capability.
- Internal supply-chain teams, in particular for supplier level development, verification and production activities (including approving test plans & procedures; reviewing test results; analysing performance and degradation over life; and evaluation of design and process changes).
- Aircraft flight-line operations teams handling and utilising the battery solutions (including; handling, storing, integrating, operating, dismounting and disposal).
- Support anomaly investigations through to route cause and subsequent resolution, in accordance with internal non-conformance control process.
- Conduct ongoing analysis and evaluation of battery and solar array data in terms of usage, performance & life.
- Support future road mapping activities, including defining and executing development and evaluation plans for next generation power system solutions, including emerging technology for application in the HAPS environment.
- Support the continuous improvement of designs, processes and procedures.
- Ensure health, safety and environmental risks and hazards are considered throughout the work conducted. Including generating Risk Assessments as required.
- Mentor and support other members of the Power Sub-System team.
- Occasional travel overseas may be required.
- Accountable to the Head of Engineering / Electrical Engineering Manager
- No direct reports.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- A degree in Engineering or a relevant science subject - desirable but not essential
- Direct experience with analysing/evaluating battery technology designs and data is essential. In particular, in the field of advanced Lithium based chemistry batteries.
- Proven experience of developing new product solutions for cutting edge applications.
- Experience in the application of DFx during development is desirable.
- Experience in establishing effective test and verification plans, equipment and methods is highly desirable.
- Experience with data analysis software (e.g. MATLAB or similar) is desirable.
- Experience of taking technology solutions through New Product Introduction (NPI) phases would be advantageous.
Personal Qualities and Behavioural Requirements
- Self-motivated, proactive, team-oriented and willing to take on challenges.
- Able to constructively influence colleagues, suppliers and customers.
- Planning own work and prioritise tasks in line with project needs.
- Focus on delivering to time, cost and quality.
- Safety conscious approach to own work and that of others
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.