Sitec has an exciting opportunity for a Performance Engineer - Systems Integration for our client Perkins Engines, at their facility in Peterborough. This is a contract role, for an estimated 12 months initially.
For nearly 90 years, Caterpillar Inc. has been making sustainable progress possible and driving positive change on every continent. Customers turn to Caterpillar to help them develop infrastructure, energy and natural resource assets. With sales and revenues of $40 billion, Caterpillar is the world's leading manufacturer of construction and mining equipment, diesel and natural gas engines, industrial gas turbines and diesel-electric locomotives. The company principally operates through its three product segments - Resource Industries, Construction Industries and Power Systems - and also provides financing and related services through its Financial Products segment.
Caterpillar has over 1,000 qualified engineers in the UK engaged in product research and development, and application engineering related activities. Our operations in Peterborough, Leicester, Peterlee and Larne (Northern Ireland) are key product design centres.
The UK is recognized as a major centre of engineering services for Caterpillar worldwide, and as a result we have well developed relationships with several leading UK universities such as Cambridge, City, Loughborough, Imperial College and Queens Belfast.
As one of the six founding corporate members of the UK Energy Technologies Institute (ETI), Caterpillar in the UK is at the forefront of accelerating the development, demonstration and eventual commercial deployment of a focused portfolio of energy technologies. These advancements will increase energy efficiency, reduce GHG emissions and achieve energy and climate change goals.
This is a systems integration and physical test engineer role within the European Division of the Energy and Transportation Systems Research Group based at our Peterborough Facility and test partners in Shoreham-by-Sea. This team is responsible for developing novel engineering solutions and processes working collaboratively with European Universities, internal and industrial partners as well as will our US based sister team. The team leads the powertrain research strategy and delivery for Caterpillar within Europe.
This position is part of a team of engineers responsible for the development of Caterpillar's engine/powertrain products and processes. These powertrains are used in machine, industrial, marine and electric power applications.
In this role you will apply coordinate and lead testing of hybrid powersystems. Understanding the desired outcomes, specifying the test programme, ensuring mechanical and electrical hardware and software is appropriate and available, analysing the results and comparing to simulation. As such you will be expected to work closely with internal and external customers in the mechanical and performance development groups and present engineering decisions at design and project reviews. You will provide technical leadership in your specialist field(s) and mentor less experienced engineers. The candidate must demonstrate the ability to develop and manage projects to plan.
* Translate high level project outcomes to a detail set of deliverables and test instructions
* Coordinate with the design specialists and test house to ensure mechanical and electrical components are fit for purpose and available for test on time.
* Coordinate with software and control specialist to ensure the complex hybrid system is able to achieve desired outcomes.
* Work closely with simulation and HiL specialists to validate the systems before full powertrain test
* Provide direction to test house and ensure highest value is obtained from test, facilitating debugging as required.
* Perform detailed analysis of test data, compare to simulation and validate performance
* Self-management of assigned tasks to agreed customer critical requirements, delivering high quality work to documented or novel processes within agreed timescales
* Process improvements and new process development in response to current and future customer needs
* Support, advise and mentor less experienced engineers
* Evaluate and Promote new products and processes
* Requires a good accredited engineering degree (2:1 or above) or equivalent and excellent analytical skills.
* A higher level degree would be advantageous. Incumbents must have industrial experience in vehicle and/or machine performance calibration, understanding how hybrid powertrains interact within vehicle systems.
* Detailed diesel engines and/or powertrain knowledge would be advantageous.
* The candidate must have strong technical skills and the ability to communicate technical information effectively.
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.