Sitec has a requirement for a Packaging Engineer for our client based in Caterpillar. The role is contract, for an estimated 12 months and will be based at our clients site in Desford, Leicestershire.
ABOUT THE COMPANY:
For more than 80 years, Caterpillar has designed and implemented the world-class supply chain solutions that have helped make it the company it is today. The Global Supply Network Division was established in 1987 to bring the same supply chain know-how to other companies and decision makers. Today, this team provides fully integrated supply chain solutions incorporating information technology, warehouse management, transportation management, inventory management, packaging design and product support, with operations based in Leicester, Stafford, and Larne, Northern Ireland and multiple facilities across the world.
The department Hand Weight 2-Box Kanban (H2K) is a subset of fixed quantity kanban replenishment, which is based on actual consumption. H2K materials include: bearings, brackets, fasteners, fittings, sensors, seals, spacers and washers. The H2K network includes 8 global Logistics Centres (LC) and consists of supply chain planning, quality and procurement.
As a Packaging Engineer you will design and develop returnable and expendable packaging for individual piece parts and bulk shipping to ensure the timely and efficient receipt and delivery of material.
* Current production parts
* 2 or more pieces fit into 1 of 4 standard box sizes
* Unit of measure = piece
* Weighs less than 14kg
JOB PURPOSE AND OVERVIEW:
This position designs and develops returnable and expendable packaging for individual piece parts and bulk shipping to ensure the timely and efficient receipt and delivery of material.
Packaging design includes safety, part protection and containment, optimisation of transportation - whist considering other supply chain functions that delivers the lowest Total Landed Costs.
Primary focus will be working on the following:
* Establish packaging and processing specifications at the part number level for new product introductions, cost savings, or other supply chain improvements on time for Class C parts.
* Export Packaging Specification for shipment across our global network, discussing Point of Use requirements with Logistics Planning Engineers.
* Coordination of work with our India Design Team.
* Provide remote support to other European facilities up to 50% of your time.
* Create packaging concepts using 3D modelling software (i.e. Pro-E)
* Perform cost analysis on current packaging processes and recommend changes where appropriate.
* Perform activities to ensure parts are protected, shipped, and delivered to the customer fit for use.
* Design packaging for transport efficiency
* Validate new packaging during pilot phase
* Design bespoke packaging with indirect packaging suppliers and obtain best quotation, considering safety, quality, technical ability and supplier performance
* Coordinate with operations related to receiving, warehousing, and/or line side delivery and ergonomic considerations
Qualifications & Demonstrated Experience Required:
* Proven track record in coordinating and designing packaging solutions.
* Creo, Pro E or CAD drawing
* Clear understanding of Supply Chain Logistics & Manufacturing technical points
* Returnable packaging implementation and management
* Market knowledge of packaging vendors covering bespoke and expendable packaging materials
* Strong analytical problem-solving skills, deploy creative original solutions to complex problems
* Interpersonal, teamwork, organisation and communication skills
* Knowledge of material handling equipment
* Bachelor of Science Degree (i.e. Packaging, Mechanical or Industrial Engineering)
* Project management experience
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.