Sitec has an exciting opportunity for a Packaging Engineer for our client Perkins Engines in Stafford. This is a contract role for an estimated 12 months.
LPSD large engine platforms, ranging from 400 kilowatts to 16 megawatts of power, are the key engine systems they design and manufacture--fuel, air, aftertreatment and cooling--are used to power oil & gas, electric power, marine, rail and Cat machine applications around the world. LPSD remanufactured engines and components--more than 7000 products--provide customers with greater lifecycle value from their Caterpillar product investment
Job Purpose and Overview:
This position designs and develops returnable and expendable packaging for individual piece parts and bulk shipping to ensure the timely and efficient receipt and delivery of material.
Ideal packaging design includes safety, part protection and containment, optimisation of transportation - whist considering other supply chain functions that delivers the lowest Total Landed Costs.
Primary focus will be working on the following:
* New Product Introduction (NPI) ensuring we have Packaging specifications in place on time.
* Export Packaging Specification for shipment from India to UK, discussing Point of Use requirements with Logistics Planning Engineers and collaboration with our India Packaging team.
* Deploy Returnable Packaging through our Third Party Pooler for our NPI programme and Continuous Improvement.
* Communicate with existing facilities on packaging issues related to receiving, warehousing, and/or line side delivery.
* Perform cost analysis on current packaging processes & recommend changes where appropriate.
* Perform activities to ensure parts are protected, shipped, and delivered to the customer fit for use.
* Design packaging for transport efficiency
* Perform containerization analysis, testing, and quoting
* Validate new packaging during pilot phase
* Design bespoke packaging with indirect packaging suppliers and obtain best quotation, considering safety, quality, technical ability and supplier performance
* Coordinate with operations for storage and ergonomic considerations
* Develop kitting packaging
* Validate returnable quantities through simulations
* Resolve safety and or quality issues caused by current packaging
* Resolve issues reported by customers and process partners
* Develop, communicate and maintain supplier packaging requirements
* Joint Process Improvement with packaging vendors and purchasing
Qualifications & Demonstrated Experience Required:
* Proven track record in coordinating and designing packaging solutions.
* Creo, Pro E or CAD drawing
* Clear understanding of Logistics & Manufacturing technical points
* Returnable packaging implementation and management
* Market knowledge of packaging vendors
* Purchase of bespoke and expendable packaging materials
* Bachelor of Science Degree (i.e. Packaging, Mechanical or Industrial Engineering)
* Project management experience
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.