Sitec has a role working for our client Perkins Engines, as a Mechanical Systems Engineer. This is a contract role for an initial 9 months and shall be based at the site in Peterborough.
OVERVIEW OF THE ROLE
For more than 85 years, Caterpillar has been building the world's infrastructure and, in partnership with our network of Cat® dealers worldwide, has helped drive positive and sustainable change on every continent. We are a global company, with hundreds of locations worldwide to serve and support our customer base, and respond quickly to their needs.
Perkins Engines, a wholly owned subsidiary of Caterpillar Inc., is recognised as a leading manufacturer of industrial diesel engines. OEM Manufacturers and users on every continent have, for generations, trusted Perkins Engines to power their world
The Mechanical Systems team, have a vacancy for an engineer to support the validation of new and updated diesel engines for industrial applications. The role is within our Peterborough Engineering & Technology centre where you will work alongside a range of system and validation specialists, with support and collaboration from engineers across facilities in US, China, India and Japan.
The Mechanical Systems Engineer will:
- Lead the creation of Engine System FMEA's, supporting risk identification, providing technical guidance on system integration and facilitating the creation of system & component validation plans (DVP&R).
- Analysis of in field machine & engine data to develop technical objectives, identify system level risks and test cycles
- Work with component teams, test engineers, and product engineering managers, to drive decision making from engine data reviews and end of test inspections.
- Collaborate with the Design Architect & the Performance Architect in order to investigate system level trade-offs including performance, packaging & durability. They will utilise a combination of engineering hand calculations, simulation results and test data
- Lead the development of and implementation of Systems integration processes.
- Lead machine integration application risk assessments, working collaboratively with internal & 3rd party machine groups
- Liaise with application leads & customers to negotiate in field validation opportunities
- Take results from DVP & translate into product capability statements, application sign-off requirements
The work involves working in a fast-moving development environment with the ability to analyse technical situations and make sound technical recommendations based on this analysis.
Required Skills and Experience:
- A Systems Engineering approach to product development
- Ability to analyse complex data with experience of engines or engine applications
- Demonstrated experience of Engine Design, Development or Simulation
- Demonstrated experience of planning validation and test requirements
- Experience of DFMEA facilitation and creation
- Good communication skills, both written instructions and working as part of a team
- Engineering degree qualified
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Experience of industrial diesel engine applications, construction machinery or generating sets
- Experience of Proactive Reliability, and demonstration of Product Quality
- Proven project management experience related to Diesel Engine development
- 6 Sigma Methodology and Continuous Process Improvement
- Experience of Root Cause Analysis, and issue investigation technique
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.