Sitec are currently recruiting for a prestigious Engineering company who specialise in the Naval/Marine Engineering and Support Industry and are seeking several Mechanical Engineers to be based in their Keynsham near Bristol offices on a contract basis for an estimated 7 months initially.
Primary Purpose of the Mechanical Engineer:
To undertake engineering investigations, design changes and associated project management of engineering projects in the maintenance of the design intent and availability of In-Service Submarine Flotilla, in particular:
- Submarine Ship's Systems; and
- Submarine Propulsion Systems.
To act, in conjunction with the other members of the Mechanical Team, as the focal point for support, by Babcock, to the Platform Group within the Submarine Operating Centre. This focal point is specifically centered around the identification of issues, risks and the associated potential design solutions for In-Service Submarines.
Principal Tasks and Responsibilities of the Mechanical Engineer:
To act as Task Owner for the specification, planning, execution and delivery of specific submarine design support / design change tasks, as allocated by the Team Leader - Mechanical, to the required standard(s), time scales and budgets.
In terms of the above requirement tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Conducting investigations and / or design studies as required by the Submarine Enterprise with a specific focus on submarine secondary propulsion systems and shipside service systems;
- Developing and or maturing technical solutions and associated specifications and technical reports in order that the required design changes can be proposed and progressed;
- Conducting design and safety reviews in order to identify the technical and safety risks;
- Conducting on board inspections and assessments (operational and in maintenance);
- Project managing sub-contractors in the execution of specific tasks that require specialist or OEM support; and
- Producing reports and recommendations that detail the proposed solution and or way ahead which will give consideration to priority, programme and budget.
To directly liaise with the customer and other MOD project officers, as authorised, to identify the technical issues, discuss potential solutions, review recommendations, conclusions, provide general advice and report progress.
To manage sub-contractors in the conduct and progress of their contracts and provide technical acceptance of their deliverables on behalf of Babcock.
To liaise with other departments to ensure that cross-Platform integration issues and Safety aspects of any design support / design change tasks are addressed.
To provide technical support on electrical design aspects to other Babcock Engineering Services projects and the wider Babcock Submarine Enterprise Teams as directed by the Manager - Mechanical.
To apply and work to objectives and targets as set by the Team Leader - Mechanical.
To notify the Team Leader - Mechanical of any issue with the potential to affect contractual and commercial.
To notify the Team Leader - Mechanical of any potential problems, including lack of resources / budgets / forward workload.
To maintain appropriate documentation and records in assigned areas of work including project files and the Management Information System (MIS).
To undertake ad-hoc and emergent tasks as directed by the Manager - Mechanical/ Team Leader - Mechanical.
Key requirements of the Mechanical Engineer:
- Chartered or on route to Chartership or operator experience in submarines to at least Cat B but probably a Cat A (Chief Petty Officer).
- Evidence of Problems solving and delivering pragmatic solution to real issues.
- Able to deal with numerous stakeholders and conflicting requirements.
- If external would like to see people with Fluids modelling (Hydraulic system design) or System performance degradation modelling (bearing wear etc….).
- Good communicators and can work well in a team (i.e.: Not tech specialists).
Candidates must hold valid UK Security clearance.
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.