Sitec currently have a requirement for a Materials Engineer to join our client based in Peterborough for an initial 6 months. The pay rate is up to £30-33 p/hr LTD Company (dependent on experience)
This role would be for an Engineer with Materials Laboratory / Metallurgical experience who has knowledge of working at component level.
This is the third career level in engineering and represents a shift from learning and assisting to fully contributing in assignments that are broader, more complex, and challenging in nature.
The key role of the Materials Engineer position is to move from learning and assisting others to fully contributing. At this level, the engineer begins partnering with and providing technical guidance within and between units and other teams.
Projects typically range from three months to two years. Ability to gather relevant information, compare and contrast data, identify relationships, and predict and manage failures is critical. Challenges include challenging the status quo and championing new initiatives, collaborating with team members and other teams, and keeping abreast of advancing technology. Decisions may affect the work group or project team, suppliers, multiple units, and both internal and external customers, and these decisions have significant impact on warranty, total cost of non-quality, customer perception, costs, sales, and the leveraging of technology.
The Materials Engineer may work in any number of functional areas requiring an engineering degree, including, but not limited to, product design, development, research, metallurgy, quality, reliability, materials, manufacturing process, application and installation, product performance/support, service, and facilities.
Individuals may have multiple assignments during their tenure as an engineer.
An overview of duties/ aspects of assignments are listed below:
* Assignments may require the Materials Engineer to review the work of technicians or other support personnel, provide technical advice to individuals at various levels in the organization and work with another unit or team.
* Assignments will become more complex and require the Engineer to assume a significant role, either as an individual contributor or as part of a project team, with increasing emphasis on analyzing, identifying, and applying engineering techniques to solve problems and make recommendations.
* Key areas of responsibility encountered in this role may include any or all of the following: perform needs analysis and initiate ideas; evaluate new products, processes, or systems; communicate results to customers, suppliers, team members, and other business units; contribute to the design of new products and processes; perform product and process maintenance; collaborate with and support other engineers, managers, marketing personnel, customers and suppliers, maintain technical currency, and represent the company externally.
* The Materials Engineer must manage their own development, continuously learning through experience and staying abreast of technology. Key learning should be rounded out during this tenure, including knowledge of Caterpillar and competitive product performance and application, understanding of customers' needs, working knowledge of key processes, data analysis, and data extraction skills. Project management skills are being honed at this level.
* Requires a bachelor degree in an accredited Engineering, Computer Science, or Materials Science curriculum plus 3-5 years experience or a master's degree in an Engineering, Computer Science, or Materials Science curriculum plus 1 to 2 years experience or a doctorate degree in engineering.
* Also excellent analytical skills. Incumbents have exhibited ability to work on increasingly more complex assignments, either through on-the-job assignments or through pursuit of the advanced degree.
* Experience working with a different unit or working with different products, processes, or systems is desirable.
* Must have ability to communicate effectively with team members and others in the work group, as well employees in other units, customers, and suppliers.
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.