Sitec has an exciting opportunity for a Materials Engineer for our client Perkins Engines, at their site in Peterborough. This is a contract role, for an estimated 6 months initially.
The Materials Engineer will provide technical guidance within and between business units and other teams. They will possess the ability to gather relevant information, compare and contrast data, identify relationships, and predict and manage failures. Decisions may affect the work group or project team, suppliers, multiple units, and both internal and external customers, and these decisions have significant impact on warranty, costs and process performance.
The role will be varied and may include reviewing the work of technicians, providing technical advice to all levels of the organisation and working with other teams or units. Investigations will be complex in nature and the engineer will be expected to assume a significant role in any team based activity or investigations. The emphasis of the role is to apply materials engineering techniques to solve problems and make recommendations.
The Materials Engineer must demonstrate a solid understanding of general engineering materials, their structures and the processes by which they are manufactured and show a willingness to keep themselves abreast of the latest technological advances in the field of materials engineering.
- Responsible for directing and contributing to the concept, development, and design of complex components, subsystems, or processes while strengthening your analytical skills and mastery of engineering concepts.
- Exercises independent judgement with little to no direction from supervisor.
Major Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Research and develop new technology
- Design and promote new components and sub processes
- Perform needs analysis and initiate ideas
- Evaluate/Contribute to the design of new products, processes, or systems
- Collaborate with and support other engineers and managers
- Perform product and process maintenance
- Communicate results to customers, suppliers, team members, and other business units
- University degree in an accredited Engineering, Computer Science, or Materials Science curriculum
- Advanced degree in an accredited Engineering, Computer Science, or Materials Science curriculum - preferred
- Substantial relevant work experience required
Skills and Competencies:
- Strong analytical skills
- Possesses initiative and a self-starter
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.