Sitec has an urgent requirement for a Manufacturing Engineer for our client Caterpilar. This is a contract role for an estimated 12 months and will be based in Stockton-on-Tees.
Caterpillar's Stockton facility cuts, welds and machines all the major structures for use in the assembly plant at Desford, Leicestershire. Caterpillar employs over 400 people at Stockton including agency workers and apprentices.
The role of Manufacturing Engineer will vary in its projects. Interaction with the shop floor will be required.
To provide the technical expertise necessary to design, develop, and implement manufacturing systems, complex manufacturing operations and sophisticated machines.
This role will require the Manufacturing Engineer function as a specialist with respect to a
specific technical phase of the planning function and which generally falls within the major areas of
planning, tooling, maintenance, plant engineering, releasing, machine shop, assembly, etc. wherever a specific technical assignment may be needed.
* Work assignments may be specialized in nature but may also be broad based with coordination between other staff personnel to complete a larger project.
* Develops, analyzes and manages Manufacturing/ Assembly Projects. Assists in developing department capital and expense budgets. Maintains the department capital forecast.
* Administers the assembly NPI process to ensure that Engineering drawings are released and processed on time for NPI build.
* Trains new processors and develops training programs for Processors and Assemblers.
* Engages in creative problem solving to address operational issues including: ergonomic/ safety, efficiency improvements, process bottlenecks, quality concerns.
* Works with internal and external suppliers to develop and manage projects to ensure efficient and cost effective systems and processes to produce quality products.
* Provides the application, procurement, processing, installation and capability of new heat treat, welding, and / or chemical processes and equipment.
* Designs, develops and implements the integration of manufacturing systems including factory control software, scheduling techniques, simulation and systems application.
* Coordinates, plans, monitors and reports the activities associated with the flow analysis, design, financial modelling and implementation of complex manufacturing group technology cells in an assigned area.
* Provides manufacturing technical support in process control and internal certification.
* Coordinates the corporate manufacturing and office space utilization and assists in preparation of business proposals for rearrangements or additions or complete new facilities that are being proposed to ensure proper utilization of space.
* Coordinates the purchase and application of machine tools, controls and related equipment corporate wide to ensure the latest technology is being used to increase efficiency and economy of operations.
* Designs complex or intricate jigs and fixtures.
* Adheres to established standards, policies and practices relating to quality, cost reduction, safety, ergonomics, etc. in performing assigned duties.
* This position requires thorough knowledge of manufacturing concepts, heat treat operations, etc., gained through acquisition of an appropriate technical or university degree. Ideally, this would be combined with a minimum of 2 year of appropriate manufacturing experience or a minimum of 2 years as a Manufacturing Engineer 2, or appropriate equivalent external experience.
* Preferably, candidates should have a basic knowledge of welding, and ideally experience in fabrication.
* Competent PC skills - with ability to create reports in Powerpoint and Word as well as being comfortable using MS Excel (spreadsheets, data analysis)
* Knowledge of LEAN principles
* Preferably experience in automotive industry.
* Must possess appropriate language and communication skills.
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.