Sitec are currently looking to recruit a Radioactive Waste Engineer for a closed Nuclear Power Station based in South Gloucestershire. The post is an estimated 12 month contract and is paying up to £24.35 per hour on a Ltd basis for a 37 hour week.
Successful applicants will be required to undergo a Basic Check clearance prior to appointment.
Purpose of Role
To assist in the development and maintenance of a waste management programme that satisfies the needs of both internal and external stakeholders.
Key Duties / Responsibilities / Accountabilities
* Support the development of a site wide Waste Strategy including identifying areas of future work and improvements.
* Support the development and implementation of lifecycle baseline/s consistent with the Waste Strategy.
* Provide relevant advice to site projects and waste operations including implementation of strategy and assistance of BAT/ BPM and BPEO studies.
* Support site initiatives in the development of waste management strategies and Lifetime Plan deliverables.
* The post holder may be required to be responsible for people management, performance management, control and supervision, loss control, communications, resource management and management of systems and processes.
* Assist with applications to the regulators to support waste management and business requirements.
* Participate as requested with internal and external stakeholders in relation to waste management strategy developments.
* Manage records associated with waste management to comply with regulatory requirements.
* Project and contract management to deliver Lifetime Plan and business related activities.
* Carry out timely investigations as required.
* Commit to continuous improvement of waste programmes/strategies.
* Contribute to the effective development and delivery of training within own area of specialism.
* Design, delivery and evaluation of training, acting as coach and mentor
* Support colleague's learning and development through knowledge sharing, task instruction etc.
* As a customer-focused individual, the post holder will be expected to support delivery within his or her range of skills, knowledge, experience and competence.
* Comply with the Health, Safety, Environmental and Quality policies, procedures, work instructions and risk assessments. Support the continuous improvement of Health, Safety Environment and Quality.
* Support the effective deployment of company-wide policies, processes, systems and procedures ensuring that at all time the business remains compliant. This includes, but is not limited to, the need to comply with the company's Equality and Diversity Policy and undertake identified associated learning and development activities.
* The post holder may be required to fulfil a role in the Site Emergency Scheme.
In addition, a Lead Waste Engineer at site has the following responsibilities:
* Deputise as required for Waste Manager.
* Assist in the preparation and improvements for the radioactive waste inventory and hazard indicator reporting.
* The post holder will be responsible for overseeing transportation of waste to comply with regulatory requirements.
* Undertake the role of Radiation Protection Supervisor to keep exposure of team members to ionising radiations as low as reasonably practical.
Education / Qualifications / Training
* HNC/HND (NQF Level 5) or equivalent in a scientific, environmental or engineering discipline
* Dangerous Goods Safety Advisor Certificate
* International Movement of Dangerous Goods Certificate
Experience / Knowledge
* Knowledge of environmental issues including practices, policies, legislation and stakeholders relating to radioactive and non-radioactive waste management
* Experience in developing waste inventories together with records management
* Relevant experience in nuclear industry in areas of waste management
* Writing and maintaining Project Waste Management Plans
* Providing advice to, and authoring where required, BAT studies
* On-site operational waste management
* Thorough working knowledge of available disposal routes
* Waste package activity assessment techniques / methodologies
* Authoring and overseeing implementation of, Sampling Plans
* Undertaking DQO studies
* Ability to travel between other sites and attend off-site meetings as required
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.