Sitec has a requirement for an Interface Engineer for our client based in Chippenham. This is a contract role for an initial 3 months and expected to be extended. Rate is negotiable depending on experience.
The is for an electrical-bias Interface Engineer that forms a critical link between R&D and Project Delivery. The role will be focused on the design and development of innovative new enclosures and frameworks for electronic equipment for use on-board locomotives and on the trackside.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THE INTERFACE ENGINEER
- Design of electromechanical products for signalling including high precision electronic enclosures/packaging and mechanical mechanisms
- Provide a technical interface for both internal and external customers
- Responsible to the preparation of concepts general layout drawings details and 3D CAD models, with the support of design draftsperson
- Responsible for detail development of design elements, using Lean principles, incorporating mechanical analysis and verification testing. Activities includes:
- Proving structural calculations
- Material properties comparison and selection
- Environmental condition testing
- Bench trials and functional testing
- Formal verification testing and reports
- Technical aid to Safety Engineers in the preparation of Product Safety Case and supporting safety analyses
- Ensuring designs meet all relevant safety legislation requirements
- Design rework support of obsolete products and parts of products
- Production of product documentation and manufacturing information
- Detailed knowledge of electrical/electronic packaging (custom enclosures, housings, cable/connector interfaces) and thermal/EMC solutions
- Sound mechanical engineering knowledge, with concept design, detailing and manufacturing methods, with detailed knowledge of sheet metal fabrication
- Strong analytic skills, including thermal management, stress, friction, tolerance build-up, validation testing and an appreciation of EMC
- 5-7 years post-graduate experience in a low/medium volume manufacturing environment
- Self-motivated and commercially astute
- Experience of 3D and 2D CAD tools (ideally SolidWorks)
- Knowledge of safety engineering an advantage
- Excellent communication skills with an understanding of task and time management
- Experience with high-end CAE / CAD tools such as Zuken CR5000 and SolidWorks.
- Understanding of data transmission and signal integrity layout issues.
- Understanding of the rigorous requirements of a safety-critical environment.
- Membership of a professional institution, preferably with Chartered engineer status.
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.