Sitec are currently looking to recruit an Environmental Advisor for a former generating Power Station in Annan, Dumfriesshire. The post is an estimated 10 month contract and is paying competitively up to £25.73 per hour plus 38 days holiday including Bank Holidays.
Successful applicants will be required to undergo Disclosure Scotland clearance prior to appointment.
Purpose of Role
Developing and maintaining the arrangements for compliance with statutory and Company requirements, including RSA, for environmental and waste disposal processes.
Key Duties / Responsibilities / Accountabilities
- Provide authoritative advice on environmental and waste matters.
- Support Best Practical Means (BPM/BAT), Best Practical Environmental Options (BPEO) and ALARP assessments for projects as appropriate.
- Ensure that work is progressed in compliance with the Safety rules (Radiological) and the IRR as appropriate, where the individual is designated as an Accredited Health Physicist.
- Advise on and review routine and non-routine technical surveys and tests to monitor radiological conditions and specification of compliance monitoring to meet legal requirements as appropriate for ariel and liquid discharge authorisations.
- Prepare, advise and comply with documentation to meet environmental requirements at the site (this will include the issue and update of Health Physics Certificates where the individual is designated as an Accredited Health Physicist, Radiological Risk Assessments, Environmental assessments, Compliance audits etc as appropriate.
- Advise on and develop methods of decontamination and waste minimisation ensuring waste volume and discharges satisfy BPM/BAT as appropriate.
- Advise on the environmental and/or radioactive waste aspects in the preparation of Safety Case submissions, strategy documents and other site and company documents.
- Provide advice to Senior Authorised Persons (NR) on environmental / waste safety requirements as appropriate.
- Produce and maintain the consent under the Environmental Impact (EIAD) regulations, including environmental impact assessments.
- Maintain ISO 14001 certification as appropriate.
- Maintain the required regulatory approvals as appropriate.
- Develop and manage the Site Improvement Plan for environmental management.
- Manage the collection, analysis and reporting of site discharges and radioactive disposals as appropriate ensuring compliance with the site's Certificate of Authorisation and Compilation of Environment Agency / Scottish Environmental Protection Agency Requirements.
- Carry out team supervision and project management activities as required.
- Undertake the role of Accredited Health Physicist / Radiation Protection Advisor if SQEP and appointed to do so.
- Ensure personal and professional development and training of EHSS&Q staff to deliver an effective and suitably qualified and experienced Function.
- Ensure effective communication within the Function.
- Monitor performance and take action or provide advice as necessary to maintain environmental standards and improve performance.
- Identify good practice in performance at sites and externally, and promote and deploy across the Functions/Sites.
- Provide expert-level advice, support and guidance on environmental issues throughout the Site.
- Act for the Site Head of Environment.
- The post holder may be required to be a member of, and participate in, the Site Emergency Scheme subject to any fitness standards required.
- Comply with the Health, Safety, Environmental and Quality policies, procedures, work instructions and risk assessments. Support the continuous improvement of Health, Safety Environment and Quality on Site.
- As a customer-focused individual, the post holder will be expected to support delivery within his or her range of skills, knowledge, experience and competence.
- Undertake baseline roles as required.
- Contribute to the effective development and delivery of training within own area of specialism.
- Assist with managing the relevant aspects of the Detail Volume, SPI/CPI, and commercial and financial aspects as required for delivery of the lifetime plan.
- Review and audit of site performance in environmental management.
Education / Qualifications / Training
- Educated to NQF level 6 / NVQ Level 6 (or equivalent in a post related subject)
- Member of a relevant professional institute
- Radiation Protection Advisor
Experience / Knowledge
- Relevant experience in specialism related roles
- Experience at a nuclear site
- Accredited Health Physicist
- Good knowledge of Company Processes for own specialty
- Detailed knowledge of the Radioactive Substances Act / Environmental Permitting Regulations
- Detailed knowledge of International / ISO Standards
- Qualified expert (RSA route)
- Able to travel to other locations - desirable
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.