Sitec have a very interesting requirement for a Senior Design Engineer / Project Manager with experience of delivering technical projects. The successful candidate(s) will have experience of component design coupled with project leadership, dealing with suppliers and providing technical guidance.
This is a Senior role role and will require the ability to manage the projects and guide team members / suppliers rather than managing people as direct reports.
The role is based in Peterborough at CAT Perkins Engines and an excellent hourly rate is available for the right candidate(s).
ROLE PURPOSE AND OVERVIEW:
Caterpillar Inc is the world's leading manufacturer of off-highway machinery and diesel and natural gas engines. The Caterpillar brand is recognised worldwide and is synonymous with quality and reliability.
Within Caterpillar Industrial Power Systems Division (IPSD), Component Engineering are responsible for mechanical design and development of engine design for engines up to 7 litres which are used in a range of machine platforms. The successful applicant for this position will join the Component Engineering department and will take responsibility for design and development activities of components and systems for Caterpillar and Perkins brand engine ranges, designed and manufactured by Caterpillar's Industrial Power Systems Division.
Each project offers the opportunity to work on the design and development of engines intended to meet the latest emissions legislation, with world-class levels of quality and reliability. You will be part of a small, friendly team working together to deliver programmes that are critical to the long-term success of a respected, global company.
Ideal candidates will have a mix of design & development experience, strong technical knowledge of IC engines and with proven technical project leadership.
Job Duties/Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
1. Project lead the delivery of engine components & systems on New Product Introduction (NPI) programmes.
2. Specify, develop and validate new components and systems.
3. Assessment of test results / data analysis.
4. Technical leadership for problem resolution on existing engine platforms.
5. Working closely with suppliers to develop solutions ready for production.
6. Communicate results to customers, suppliers, stakeholders and other business units.
Through this role, the successful candidate will have an excellent opportunity to take part in, and have significant responsibility for, the end-to-end design/development process for engine components and systems. This gives our engineers true product ownership and the opportunity to see their products through to volume production.
1. Customer focus
2. Technical leadership
3. Initiating action
4. Good problem-solving and analysis skills
5. High work standards
6. Good planning and organisational skills
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
1. Strong technical background (technical degree preferred in mechanical, electronic, electrical, or automotive engineering) though other qualifications / experience will be considered.
2. Good understanding of Manufacturing principles & processes
3. Design experience of engine components and systems, 3D CAD (Pro-Engineer Creo preferred but not essential as you will be manageing rather than full time 'hands on' CAD); and / or Development experience of engine components and systems, including both rig and whole engine testing.
4. Good understanding of engine design
5. Self-motivation and an ability to manage and deliver tasks to meet established commitments.
6. Excellent communications skills & teamwork
1. Knowledge of engine systems
2. Experience of running and participating in FMEA
3. Experience of supplier collaboration using APQP
4. Design experience gained in the off-highway sector
5. Knowledge and usage of Teamcenter - data management software
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.