Sitec has a requirement for an Engine Development Test Engineer for our client - Perkins Engines.
This is a contract role for an estimated 12 months and will based at their site in Peterborough. The rate of pay for this role will between £28 - £33 p/hr LTD Company (dependent on experience.
The Engine Development Test Engineer will be part of a team of engineers responsible for the test and validation of Caterpillar diesel engine products.
For more than 85 years, Caterpillar has been building the world's infrastructure and, in partnership with our network of Cat® dealers worldwide, has helped drive positive and sustainable change on every continent. We are a global company, with hundreds of locations worldwide to serve and support our customer base, and respond quickly to their needs.
Perkins Engines, a wholly owned subsidiary of Caterpillar Inc., is recognised as a leading manufacturer of industrial diesel engines. OEM Manufacturers and users on every continent have, for generations, trusted Perkins Engines to power their world.
An opening has become available for a diesel engine development test engineer to join the Product Development team in the team working on our 0.5 to 2.2 range of engines. This is an exciting opportunity to carry out validation development work that will make significant contributions to the NPI programs for these engines.
This position is part of a team of engineers responsible for the test and validation of Caterpillar diesel engine products. The engines are used in machine, industrial and electric power applications. You will also be responsible for participating in, and where appropriate leading, prompt and robust RCCA identification and implementation when issues arise.
Key areas of responsibility encountered in this role may include any or all of the following:
* Accountable for the delivery of customer requirements (engine build, test and strip), as defined in the project, and to master control plan dates.
* Provide support to planning team & processes to ensure that engine and all required test equipment is available in advance.
* Creation & management of build and/or test instructions for engine installation/removal, testing, daily checks, servicing & rework.
* Responsible for progression of test cell and engine mechanical issues, and communication of progress to customer. Form a close partnership with customer and technician groups to maximise test cell utilisation.
* Communication and tracking of engine mechanical defects / failures ensuring data and failed components are available for review.
* Data analysis, tracking and recognition of discrepancies in engine performance & endurance test data using best practices.
* Work with GED Facilities teams to develop test & instrumentation practices/strategies.
* Engine/component strip assessment, concern identification & technical report writing.
* Define & maintain metrics to drive improvement actions.
* Creating and updating engine test procedures.
* Support of process & facility improvement team projects, including use of Standard Work, Caterpillar Production System (CPS) and 6 Sigma techniques.
* Experience in a prototype engine test / development environment is required. Able to demonstrate a good understanding of base engine fundamentals.
* Engineering degree preferred but HNC/HND level candidates who possess a strong engine development background and the desire to develop and exhibit the required competencies will be considered.
* Self motivated, able to manage own workload and the ability to learn new skills at pace.
* Committed to continuous improvement, with an understanding of 6 Sigma processes.
* Must have ability to communicate effectively with team members and others in the work group, as well as customers, suppliers and employees in other workgroups.
* Logical problem solving skills are essential, as is the tenacity to ensure that results are delivered 'right first time' and within quality and time targets.
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.