Sitec has a requirement for a Embedded Software Controls Engineer for our client Caterpillar. This is a contract role for an estimated 6 months, and will be based in Peterborough, UK.
Caterpillar Inc is the world's leading manufacturer of off-highway machinery and diesel and natural gas engines. The Caterpillar brand is recognised worldwide and is synonymous with quality and reliability.
ITDD Advanced Components & Technologies is the Caterpillar business unit responsible for electronic and electrical systems development across all CAT engine and machine platforms. Based in Peterborough, the European Division of ITDD ACT works with all CAT's European facilities to develop and apply advanced technology to the control of our highly integrated engines and machines. With unrivalled levels of vertical integration within the industry, ACT products help to maximise the customer value and efficiency of the end products, whilst minimising owning and operating costs.
The successful applicant for this position will join the European Engine Controls team, which is responsible for engine control system development for all of Industrial Power Systems Division's small and medium engine programmes and will be involved in the design and development of the engine control systems for a number of IPSD's core products.
This position offers the opportunity to work on cutting edge engine control system technology, with a diverse range of applications ranging from small construction machinery to agriculture and generator sets.
* Work with process partner teams (primarily IPSD L4 Performance) to gather and develop requirements for engine controls and software for the IPSD small and medium diesel engines (C1.7 to C7.1)
* Create sub-system software models using Matlab, Simulink and Stateflow to meet engine control requirements.
* Troubleshoot and resolve electronics / control system issues encountered during engine running on testbeds and in machine.
* Conduct control system tuning / calibration activities on test bench and / or on engine / machine to achieve desired system performance.
* Conduct sub-system FMEAs, documenting potential failure modes, identifying and completing design and validation actions and managing subsequent updates.
* Plan and execute verification and validation testing for electronics / control system software in SiL, HiL or on engine or development machines.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
* Strong technical background (good technical degree preferred in mechanical, electronic, electrical, control systems or automotive engineering) though other qualifications / experience will be considered.
* Experience of using Mathworks tools (Matlab, Simulink and Stateflow) for model-based software design and development to create embedded software.
* Ability to translate and develop customer requirements and objectives into production-ready software models.
* Ability to robustly tune closed loop controllers to meet stability and response objectives.
* Knowledge of software FMEA and validation plan creation.
* Excellent communications skills
* Strong customer focus
* Good understanding of at least some of the technologies used to meet power and emissions requirements in off-highway diesel engines and the techniques used to control them (emissions and combustion, governing, fuel system, air system, aftertreatment thermal management and SCR technologies).
* Experience of Caterpillar control software processes and tools.
* Experience of dSPACE HiL test equipment and the ability to programme automated tests.
* Knowledge of software version control systems, ideally GiT or Clearcase.
* Knowledge of / prior experience of developing software to meet functional safety requirements.
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.