Sitec has an exciting opportunity for a Graduate Level Electronic Controls Engineer -Engines, for our client Caterpillar Perkins, at their site in Peterborough.
This is a contract role, for an estimated 12 months plus. The hourly rate will be dependant on experience, this offers an excellent opportunity to develop your knowledge and experience of the latest European Engine technolgy.
The role would suit a recently qualified Engineer wishing to grow their knowledge and experience in a large and established Engineering organisation.
Specific area of work/project that the candidate will be involved in and what they will be doing on a day-to-day basis:-
Caterpillar's legacy of industry leadership dates back to 1925. They have a global footprint with product in more than 180 countries. Caterpillar is a Fortune 50 company and one of the 30 companies on the Dow Jones Industrial Average.
The Innovation & Technology Development team offers some of the most exciting engineering roles within the Caterpillar global organisation. Working on the integration of electronic and electrical systems within multiple Caterpillar products provides the opportunity to work with multiple disciplines within the organisation.
The integrated machine systems control all aspects of construction machine operation (engine, transmission, hydraulic systems), provide the human-machine interface (operator controls and information displays), and constantly monitor and communicate position, operation, diagnostic and prognostic information to enable machine automation, improved productivity and enhanced serviceability.
The successful applicant for this position will join the European Engine Controls team, which is responsible for engine control system development for all of Industrial Power Systems Division's small and medium engine programmes and will be involved in the design and development of the engine control systems for a number of IPSD's core products.
This position offers the opportunity to work on cutting edge engine control system technology, with a diverse range of applications ranging from small construction machinery to agriculture and generator sets.
The role is an entry-level position which will give the successful candidate and excellent opportunity to learn more about the development of advanced diesel engine controls 'on the job' as they support others in the development of Caterpillar's next generation engines.
* Work with colleagues and process partner teams to develop and document requirements for engine controls and software for the IPSD small and medium diesel engines (C1.7 to C7.1)
* Take responsibility for delivering accurate, high quality requirements documentation to the controls / software development process and downstream users of the engine control software.
* Work with colleagues and process partners to create calibration guides to support calibration work on engine control software developed by the team.
* Support the creation of AECD (auxiliary emissions control device) documentation to support successful certification of engines for production.
'Must Have' key skills and competencies for this role:
* Good technical background (good technical degree preferred in mechanical, electronic, electrical, control systems or automotive engineering) though other qualifications / experience will be considered.
* Some knowledge / experience of engine control systems and / or the development process for real-time control systems.
* Ability to translate and develop customer requirements and objectives into production-ready software models.
* Ability to document complex technical concepts accurately and concisely.
* Excellent communications skills
* Strong customer focus
'Desirable' key skills and competencies for this role:
* Good understanding of at least some of the technologies used to meet power and emissions requirements in off-highway diesel engines and the techniques used to control them (emissions and combustion, governing, fuel system, air system, aftertreatment thermal management and SCR technologies).
* Experience of Caterpillar control software processes and tools.
* Some familiarity with functional safety requirements.
What background would the ideal candidate have:
- The role would suit a recently qualified Engineer wishing to grow their knowledge and experience in a large and established Engineering organisation.
- Diesel engine or off-highway control system development (or comparable experience with automotive, marine or military vehicle control systems)
Skills and competencies not required for this role
* Electronic hardware development
* PLC software experience
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.