Sitec have an interesting and urgent requirement for a Development Engineer - Turbochargers at Caterpillar in Peterborough. This is a contract role with an estimated duration of 12 Months.
Caterpillar Inc is the world's leading manufacturer of off-highway machinery and diesel and natural gas engines. The Caterpillar brand is recognised worldwide and is synonymous with quality and reliability.
Within Caterpillar Industrial Power Systems Division (IPSD), Component Engineering are responsible for mechanical design and development of engine design for engines up to 7 litres which are used in a range of machine platforms. The successful applicant for this position will join the Component Engineering department and will take responsibility for the development activities of turbocharger components and systems for Caterpillar and Perkins brand engine ranges, designed and manufactured by Caterpillar's Industrial Power Systems Division.
Each project offers the opportunity to work on the design and development of engines intended to meet the latest emissions legislation, with world-class levels of quality and reliability. You will be part of a small, friendly team working together to deliver programmes that are critical to the long-term success of a respected, global company.
Ideal candidates would have a development and component ownership experience, knowledge of IC engines and be able to plan and execute challenging tasks/projects with minimal supervision
Key skills to be developed at this level are data extraction/analysis, failure analysis and problem solving, application of simulation tools and methods, and practical application of theory and concepts.
* Requires a bachelor degree in an accredited Engineering, Computer Science, or Materials Science curriculum plus 3-5 years of experience.
* Incumbents must have demonstrated excellent analytical skills and the ability to perform complex assignments.
* Requires a self-starter with strong technical leadership skills.
* Must have ability to communicate technical information effectively with team members and others in the work group, as well employees in other units, customers, and suppliers.
Candidates should be experienced in performing at least several of the below:
* Execution of turbocharger validation activities
* Issue resolution
* Conducting FMEA on components and systems to identify and address design risks and determine validation needs.
* Working with the validation team to plan and execute validation tests.
* Conducting component and system design reviews to obtain 'buy-in' from the business to selected components, designs and suppliers.
* Keeping peers, team leader and management up to date with progress against planned activities.
* Support to test and field issues, diagnose issues to root cause, put in place containment actions, and develop permanent corrective actions. Work with suppliers and keep stakeholder informed of progress and decisions
Through this role, the successful candidate will have an excellent opportunity to take part in, and have significant responsibility for, the end-to-end design/development process for engine components and systems. This gives our employees true product ownership and the opportunity to see their products through to volume production.
* Customer focus
* Initiating action
* Good problem-solving and analysis skills
* High work standards
* Good planning and organisational skills
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
* Strong technical background (technical degree preferred in mechanical, electronic, electrical, or automotive engineering) though other qualifications / experience will be considered.
* Good understanding of Manufacturing principles & processes
* Development experience of engine components and systems, including both rig and whole engine testing.
* Self-motivation and an ability to manage and deliver tasks to meet established commitments.
* Excellent communications skills & Teamwork
* Knowledge of engine systems including diesel
* Prior turbocharger development and validation experience
* Thermodynamics, Turbocharging fundamentals
* Turbocharger componentry and potential failure modes
* 8D problem solving, Creation and Maintenance of DVPs and FMEAs
* Experience of running and participating in FMEA
* Knowledge and usage of Team Centre - data management software
Rates from £30.00 to £34.00 p/hr LTD Company
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.