Sitec has an interesting requirement for a Development Engineer to join our clients team in Peterborough. The role is a contract position for an estimated 12 months.
ROLE PURPOSE AND OVERVIEW:
Caterpillar Inc is the world's leading manufacturer of off-highway machinery and diesel and natural gas engines. The Caterpillar brand is recognised worldwide and is synonymous with quality and reliability.
Within Caterpillar Industrial Power Systems Division (IPSD), Component Engineering are responsible for mechanical design and development of engine design for engines up to 7 litres which are used in a range of machine platforms. You will join the Component Engineering department and will take responsibility for development activities of components and systems for Caterpillar and Perkins branded engine ranges, designed and manufactured by Caterpillar's Industrial Power Systems Division.
Each project offers the opportunity to work on the design and development of engines intended to meet the latest emissions legislation, with world-class levels of quality and reliability. You will be part of a small, friendly team working together to deliver programmes that are critical to the long-term success of a respected, global company.
You will have engine development experience, knowledge of IC engines and be able to plan & execute challenging tasks/projects with minimal supervision.
You as Development Engineer should be experienced in performing several of the below:
1. Technical project leadership of the delivery of engine components & systems on New Product Introduction programmes.
2. Development & validation of engine components and systems.
3. Technical leadership for problem resolution on engine components & systems.
4. Assessment of test results / data analysis.
5. Component supplier management and collaboration.
6. Conducting FMEA on components and systems to identify and address design risks and define validation requirements.
7. Conducting component and system design reviews to obtain 'buy-in' from the business for selected components, designs and suppliers.
8. Support field and production issues, diagnose issues to root cause, put in place containment actions, and develop permanent corrective actions. Work with suppliers and keep stakeholder informed of progress and decisions.
Through this role you will have an excellent opportunity to take part in, and have significant responsibility for, the end-to-end design/development process for engine components and systems. This gives our employees true product ownership and the opportunity to see their products through to volume production.
1. Customer focus
2. Initiating action
3. Good problem-solving and data analysis skills
4. High work standards
5. Good planning and organisational skills
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
1. Strong technical background (technical degree preferred in mechanical or automotive engineering) though other qualifications / experience will be considered.
2. Good understanding of engine systems.
3. Development experience of engine components & systems, including both rig and whole engine testing.
4. Ability to lead and deliver problem resolution projects for engine components or systems.
5. Self-motivation and an ability to manage & deliver tasks to meet established commitments.
6. Excellent communications skills & teamwork
1. Experience of running and participating in FMEA
2. Knowledge and usage of Teamcenter - data management software
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.