Sitec - a Belcan Company have an interesting opportunity for a Design Manager based in Devonport, Plymouth, Devon. This is a contract position with an estimated duration of 12 months.
The purpose of the Design Manager post is:
- To manage the delivery and co-ordinate the System Engineering work packages to the required scope, quality, schedule and cost, providing an overall capability for De-fuel Submarines within the Facility.
- Responsible for managing the technical aspects of the engineering packages from identification of the need, through to handover.
- The Design Manager post operates as part of the Strategic Infrastructure Business Unit.
- The Design Manager is accountable to the Design & Safety Manager for the technical management (quality) of assigned packages.
- The Design Manager is accountable to the Project Managers for output to scope, schedule and cost.
Principal Tasks and Responsibilities
- Develop, lead, manage and co-ordinate the technical design packages agreeing project related objectives, managing performance of all Engineering and Design resource and making appropriate technical management decisions.
- Ensure that the design documentation covers the scope of operations required by the Project Manager and is produced to agreed standards, schedule and budget.
- Plan for effective project implementation, identifying key factors and leading the project's technical planning process.
- Ensuring effective Quality Management Arrangements, operate and deliver through compliance with Babcock's Business Management System and Technical Manual.
- Ensure that the processes and activities being managed are appropriately documented with appropriate records maintained and configuration and quality controls applied.
- Ensure that staff and contractors are familiar with the hazards and risks associated with the work undertaken by the delegated engineering team through effective management and communication of the Risk Assessment.
- Ensure design information is articulated to the Safety Manager to enable appropriate justification of the engineering / activities within the Facility Safety Case
- Liaise with Engineering Services Technical Authority to ensure that Relevant Good Practice is employed
- The Design Manager must be able to demonstrate relevant knowledge and skills required in the technical management of large scale and complex design development throughout the design lifecycle
- Sound understanding of engineering design and safety practice as relevant to discipline, post and project requirements
- Sound project specification, planning, project management and budgeting experience
- Sound understanding of Company and departmental procedures relating to Design, Health & Safety and Quality requirements
- Working knowledge of relevant engineering office computer applications
- Experience of the design support to construction, operation, refit/repair of conventional and nuclear submarines and/or facilities
Qualifications and Experience Requirements
- A degree in an appropriate engineering discipline.
- Chartered Engineer, registered with Engineering Council.
- Nuclear: Nuclear Introductory Course or equivalent nuclear and/or marine system knowledge
This vacancy is being advertised by Belcan