Sitec has a requirement for a Design Manager to work for our client based in Plymouth. This is a contract position, for an estimated 6 months.
Within Western Europe's largest naval base, engineers have been shaping the dockyard to ensure it supports the fleet and protects the nation.
Comprising of 14 dry docks, four miles of waterfront and 25 tidal berths, Devonport is the base for numerous surface vessels as well as the base and refit centre for the Trafalgar-class nuclear-powered submarines. Devonport has also recently been selected as the base port for the Navy's new Type 26 frigates and will become the maintenance centre for the future submarine programme, including Astute and Dreadnought class.
You will be responsible for leading or supporting a design team delivering complex nuclear and non-nuclear projects. We are looking for individuals to manage both new-build infrastructure as well as projects relating to the development of existing dockyard and naval base assets.
Duties could include
* Designing projects to meet cost, programme and quality requirements.
* Implementing Babcock's design processes and contributing to their ongoing development.
* Helping to develop and sustain a Design Authority capability.
* Defining and maintaining the Design Intent of a wide range of facilities and assets.
* Managing technical design packages.
* Planning for effective project implementation and lead in the technical planning process.
* Ensuring that effective safety quality management arrangements are in place and adhered to.
* Liaising closely with other teams and stakeholders.
Skills and qualifications
* Qualified to degree level in a relevant engineering discipline.
* Chartered Engineer or able to attain chartership status.
* Experienced in the design and substantiation of engineering systems.
* Experienced in leading, motivating and supporting design teams.
* Experienced in design process management.
* Working within strict regulatory environments (safety, quality and security)
* Knowledgeable of operating within nuclear or other high-hazard environments
Candidates must hold or be eligible to obtain UK security clearance.
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.