Sitec has a requirement for a Design Engineering Specialist for our client - Perkins Engines.
This is a contract position for an estimated 12 months and will be based in Peterborough
OVERVIEW OF THE ROLE:
Caterpillar Inc is the world's leading manufacturer of off-highway machinery and diesel and natural gas engines. The Caterpillar brand is recognised worldwide and is synonymous with quality and reliability.
Within Caterpillar Industrial Power Systems Division (IPSD), Component Engineering are responsible for mechanical design and development of engine design for engines up to 7 litres which are used in a range of machine platforms. The successful applicant for this position will join the Component Engineering department and will take responsibility for design and development activities of components and systems for Caterpillar and Perkins brand engine ranges, designed and manufactured by Caterpillar's Industrial Power Systems Division.
Each project offers the opportunity to work on the design and development of engines intended to meet the latest emissions legislation, with world-class levels of quality and reliability. You will be part of a small, friendly team working together to deliver programmes that are critical to the long-term success of a respected, global company.
Ideal candidates would have a mix of design & development experience, knowledge of IC engines and be able to plan and execute challenging tasks/projects with minimal supervision
Candidates should be experienced in performing at least several of the below
* Design and packaging of engine components & systems, including air, fluid (fuel, cooling & lubrication), FEAD and core engine systems.
* Working with suppliers to develop hardware and mounting solutions.
* Conducting FMEA on components and systems to identify and address design risks and determine validation needs.
* Working with the validation team to plan and execute validation tests.
* Technical leadership for problem resolution on engine components & systems.
* Conducting component and system design reviews to obtain 'buy-in' from the business to selected components, designs and suppliers.
* Development of drawings and other information to support the release of parts onto BOMs and engine lists in preparation for volume production.
* Support field and production issue, diagnose issues to root cause, put in place containment actions, and develop permanent corrective actions. Work with suppliers and keep stakeholder informed of progress and decisions
Through this role, the successful candidate will have an excellent opportunity to take part in, and have significant responsibility for, the end-to-end design/development process for engine components and systems. This gives our employees true product ownership and the opportunity to see their products through to volume production.
* Customer focus
* Initiating action
* Good problem-solving and analysis skills
* High work standards
* Good planning and organisational skills
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
* Strong technical background (technical degree preferred in mechanical, electronic, electrical, or automotive engineering) though other qualifications / experience will be considered.
* Good understanding of Manufacturing principles & processes
* Design experience of engine components and systems 3D CAD (Pro-Engineer CREO)
* Good understanding of engine design
* Self-motivation and an ability to manage and deliver tasks to meet established commitments.
* Excellent communications skills & teamwork
* Knowledge of engine systems
* Experience of running and participating in FMEA
* Development experience of engine components and systems, including both rig and whole engine testing.
* Design experience gained in the off-highway sector
* Knowledge and usage of Teamcenter - data management software
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.