Sitec has a requirement for a Design Engineer for our client based in Peterborough.
This is a contract position, for an estimated 12 months. The max pay is dependent on experience, expected pay rates are between £32 - 38 p/hr LTD Company.
ROLE PURPOSE AND OVERVIEW:
Caterpillar Inc is the world's leading manufacturer of off-highway machinery and diesel and natural gas engines. The Caterpillar brand is recognised worldwide and is synonymous with quality and reliability.
Within Caterpillar Industrial Power Systems Division (IPSD), Component Engineering are responsible for mechanical design and development of engine design for engines between 0.5 and 7.1 litres which are used in a range of machine platforms. The successful applicant for this position will join the Component Engineering department and will take responsibility for design and development activities of component s and systems for Caterpillar and Perkins brand engine ranges, designed and manufactured by Caterpillar's Industrial Power Systems Division.
Each project offers the opportunity to work on the design and development of engines intended to meet the latest emissions legislation, with world-class levels of quality and reliability. You will be part of a small, friendly team working together to deliver programmes that are critical to the long-term success of a respected, global company.
Ideal candidates would have a mix of design and development experience, knowledge of IC engines and be able to plan and execute challenging tasks/projects with minimal supervision
Candidates should be experienced in performing at least several of the below
* Design and sourcing of core engine architecture including: -
- Cylinder heads & blocks, valve mechanisms, camshafts, gears and aluminium die cast components.
* Working directly with the Technical Lead to identify and deliver components and systems
* Working with suppliers to develop component and system solutions using APQP to deliver high quality results
* Conducting FMEA's on components and systems to identify and address design risks and determine validation needs.
* Working with the validation team to plan and execute engine and rig tests.
* Conducting component and system design reviews to obtain 'buy-in' from the business to select components, designs and suppliers.
* Communicating with peers, Tech Leader and management, updating progress against planned activities.
* Utilising a global team to develop models, drawings and other information to support the release of parts onto BoMs and engine lists in preparation for volume production.
* Support production issues, conduct root cause analysis, implement containment and develop permanent corrective actions. Work with suppliers and keep stakeholders informed of progress and decisions
Through this role, the successful candidate will have an excellent opportunity to take part in and have significant responsibility for the design/development process for engine components and systems. This gives our employees true product ownership and the opportunity to see their products through to volume production.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
* Strong diesel engine technical background
(technical degree preferred in mechanical, electronic, electrical, or automotive engineering) though other qualifications / experience will be considered.
* Good understanding of Manufacturing principles & processes
* Design and development process experience for engine components and systems
* Self-motivation and an ability to manage and deliver tasks to meet established commitments.
* Excellent communications skills & Teamwork across a global organisation.
* Willing and able to undertake international travel to work with colleagues and suppliers.
* (Including, but not exclusively India, China and Japan)
* Knowledge of engine systems
* Experience of running and participating in APQP, FMEAs and Design & Development Reviews
* Design experience gained in the off-highway sector
* Knowledge and usage of Team Centre - data management software
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.