Sitec has a requirement for a Design Engineer for our client Perkins Engines. This is a contract role for an estimated 12 months and will be based in Peterborough.
For nearly 90 years, Caterpillar Inc. has been making sustainable progress possible and driving positive change on every continent. Customers turn to Caterpillar to help them develop infrastructure, energy and natural resource assets. With 2015 sales and revenues of $47 billion, Caterpillar is the world's leading manufacturer of construction and mining equipment, diesel and natural gas engines, industrial gas turbines and diesel-electric locomotives. The company principally operates through its three product segments - Resource Industries, Construction Industries and Power Systems - and also provides financing and related services through its Financial Products segment.
Caterpillar has over 1,000 qualified engineers in the UK engaged in product research and development, and application engineering related activities. Our operations in Peterborough, Leicester, Peterlee and Larne (Northern Ireland) are key product design centres.
The UK is recognized as a major centre of engineering services for Caterpillar worldwide, and as a result we have well developed relationships with several leading UK universities such as Cambridge, City, Loughborough, Imperial College and Queens Belfast.
As one of the six founding corporate members of the UK Energy Technologies Institute (ETI), Caterpillar in the UK is at the forefront of accelerating the development, demonstration and eventual commercial deployment of a focused portfolio of energy technologies. These advancements will increase energy efficiency, reduce GHG emissions and achieve energy and climate change goals.
The role of Design Engineer will be within the European Division of the Energy and Transportation Technologies Research Group based at our Peterborough Facility. This team is responsible for developing novel engineering solutions and processes working collaboratively with European Universities, internal and industrial partners as well as with our US based sister team. The team leads the powertrain research strategy and delivery for Caterpillar within Europe.
The candidate will serve as an experienced, individual contributor for European Engine Research projects. Specific assignments are complex in nature and depending on experience the individual may have the opportunity to lead entire projects or significant work packages.
In this role you will apply your knowledge of engine and/or machine design and configuration. As such you will be expected to work closely with internal and external customers in the mechanical and performance development groups and present engineering decisions at design and project reviews. You will provide technical leadership in your specialist field(s), demonstrating your extensive understanding of complex engineering concepts and technology applications.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE DESIGN ENGINEER
* Implementing design and integration ideas, machine configuration and design in accordance with applicable design guides and standards
* Managing positive BOM for multiple engine and/or machine builds
* Managing build and mechanical durability issues
* Self-management of assigned tasks to agreed customer critical requirements, delivering high quality work to documented or novel processes within agreed timescales
* Close liaison with performance and mechanical development engineers, engine designers and project teams
* Process improvements and new process development in response to current and future customer needs
* Support, advise and mentor less experienced engineers
* Evaluate and Promote new products and processes
* Requires a good accredited engineering degree (2:1 or above) or equivalent and excellent analytical skills. A higher level degree would be advantageous.
* Incumbents must have industrial experience in vehicle and/or machine design and configuration.
* Detailed diesel engines and/or powertrain knowledge would be advantageous.
* The Candidate must have strong technical skills and the ability to communicate technical information effectively.
Skills and Technical Knowledge:
* be an expert user of Creo (Pro/e) for modelling and detailing;
* have experience of working with PLM tools for developing large assemblies of engines or whole machine design (eg Teamcenter Visualization Mockup)
* be proficient in detailed component design;
* independently collaborate with peers, suppliers, and process partners. (ie supply chain, logistics, purchasing, other engineering teams, etc) on a worldwide basis;
* demonstrate appreciation of APQP Tools such as boundary diagrams, Failure Mode & Effects Analysis and Design Verification Plan & Report (DVP&R)
* demonstrate knowledge of manufacturability considerations for engineering changes and releases and demonstrated examples of correct application of same;
* have the ability to take the lead in technical discussions, to specify component requirements and to understand the interactions which influence engine performance.
Candidates would ideally:
* Demonstrate a deep understanding of the structural dynamics and Virtual Product Development (VPD) tools to improve engine or machine structure designs;
* demonstrate knowledge of engine fundamentals
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.