Sitec have an exciting opportunity for a Design Engineer for our client Cat Perkins Engines at Peterborough. This is a contract position estimated duration is 12 months with an hourly rate from £25 to £35 per hour Ltd Company, dependant on experience.
Role Purpose and Overview:
Caterpillar Inc is the world's leading manufacturer of off-highway machinery and diesel and natural gas engines. The Caterpillar brand is recognised worldwide and is synonymous with quality and reliability.
Within Caterpillar Industrial Power Systems Division (IPSD), Component Engineering is responsible for mechanical design and development of engine design for engines up to 7 litres which are used in a range of machine platforms. The successful applicant for this position will join the Component Engineering department and will take responsibility for design and development activities of components and systems for Caterpillar and Perkins brand engine ranges, designed and manufactured by Caterpillar's Industrial Power Systems Division.
Each project offers the opportunity to work on the design and development of engines intended to meet the latest emissions legislation, with world-class levels of quality and reliability. You will be part of a small, friendly team working together to deliver programmes that are critical to the long-term success of a respected, global company.
Ideal candidates would have a mix of design & development experience, knowledge of IC engines and be able to plan and execute challenging tasks/projects with minimal supervision
Candidates should be experienced in performing at least several of the below:
Design and packaging of:
* Various air systems, fuel systems, FEAD, core, after treatment and other engine systems
* Working directly with the engine architect to identify space claims
* Working with suppliers to develop hardware and mounting solutions
* Conducting FMEA on components and systems to identify and address design risks and determine validation needs.
* Working with the validation team to plan and execute validation tests.
* Conducting component and system design reviews to obtain 'buy-in' to selected components, designs and suppliers.
* Keeping peers, team leader and management up to date with progress against planned activities.
* Development of drawings and other info. supporting the release of parts onto BOMs and lists for volume production.
* Support field and production issue, diagnose issues to root cause, put in place containment actions, and develop permanent corrective actions. Work with suppliers and keep stakeholder informed of progress and decisions
The successful candidate will have an excellent opportunity to be involved in the end-to-end design/development process for engine components and systems. True product ownership and the opportunity to see products through to volume production.
Customer focus, Innovation, Initiating action,
Good problem-solving and analysis skills
High work standards, Good planning and organisational skills
Qualifications, Skills & Experience Required:
* Strong technical background (technical degree preferred in mechanical, electronic, electrical, or automotive engineering) though other qualifications / experience will be considered.
* Good understanding of Manufacturing principles & processes
* Design experience of engine components and systems 3D CAD (Pro-Engineer CREO),
and / or
* Development experience of engine components and systems, including both rig and whole engine testing.
* Good understanding of engine design
* Self-motivation and an ability to manage and deliver tasks to meet established commitments.
* Excellent communications skills & teamwork
Knowledge of engine systems,
Experience of running and participating in FMEA,
Design experience gained in the off-highway sector,
Knowledge and usage of Teamcenter - data management software
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.