Sitec are currently recruiting for a Customs Coordinator for our client Perkins Engines, at their site in Peterborough.
This is a contract role, for an estimated 6 months and the max rate of pay is up to £14.80 p/hr PAYE.
The Imports & Duty Team is a small department dealing with the import and customs procedures for goods imported into the UK for Perkins Peterborough. Duty and Import VAT is managed via the Ricardo integrated duty management system.
The role is essential in ensuring that the importation of goods takes place promptly and efficiently. This process requires timely action to respond to requests for Import agents and HMRC. It is key that imported goods are cleared quickly and that these goods are delivered to the Peterborough facility in such manner as to ensure that production schedules are not affected. Failure to undertake these tasks will lead to increased costs in terms of demurrage charges at ports/airports and will adversely affect production schedules.
The Customs Coordinator will assist in the administration of planning, development implementation and operation of the systems and processes for the payment and avoidance of duties and taxes. Liaises with HM (Her Majesties) customs to ensure European Community regulatory compliance and rules applicable to duty/tax avoidance. Prepares, completes and submits monthly returns of duties/taxes paid (and avoided) to HM customs.
* Operation of a Duty Management System (Ricardo) for both Perkins Engines Peterborough and Perkins Shibaura Engines Peterborough in accordance with H.M. Revenue & Customs (HMRC) requirements.
* Raise and send Import Instructions to Agents for the Peterborough and ensure this are fully compliant with H.M. Revenue & Customs (HMRC) requirements.
* Ensure all import entries are raised/completed/filed by due dates and are fully compliant with H.M. Revenue & Customs (HMRC) requirements.
* Support the continued use of Customs Freight Simplified Process (CFSP) by ensuring that all import entries are raised/completed/filed by due dates.
* Authorises and verifies customs clearance agency use of Perkins' deferment account and apportions costs internally.
* Supporting the Caterpillar Trade Compliance practices to ensure that these are complied with and maintained.
* Reconcile the Duty Deferment account to ensure that all entries showing on the account are validated.
* Reconcile the Import VAT charges to ensure that all such records are accurate and are apportioned correctly.
* Maintain the Imports Job Log so that accurate records are maintained for audit and trade compliance purposes.
* Contribute to Continuous Improvements by proactively reviewing processes to ensure that maximum efficiency and duty recovery is maintained and increased.
* Liaises with suppliers (and customers) shipping lines & haulers in connection with the movement of goods. Processes/finalises insurance claims as/if applicable under the Maritime Insurance Policy.
* Ability to provide basic guidance and support to internal and external customers on HM (Her Majesties) customs requirements.
Typical internal customers include a Department or Business/Service Unit in a Division. The position's primary customers are internal. Most of the problems faced by the position are similar to those faced before and follow a pattern. The incumbent resolves issues by selecting the best solution from a few choices. Impacts key quality goals including Timeliness, Accuracy, Efficiency, Cost Savings, etc.
BACKGROUND/EXPERIENCE OF THE CUSTOMS COORDINATOR:
Competencies & Qualifications:
* Good communication skills. The job involves broad-based contact with overseas suppliers and external agencies in addition to a wide range of internal contacts.
* Ability to work as a member of a small team and also being able to interact effectively with the wider business is essential.
* Good organisational skills coupled with the ability to work to tight deadlines and attention to detail.
* Self-motivation and a mature, flexible outlook are sought after qualities.
* A positive approach with recognition of the need to focus on the requirements of customers (both internal and external)
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.