Sitec has a requirement for a Cost Engineer for our client, Perkins Engines.
This is a contract role for an initial 12 months and will be based at their site in Peterborough. The max rate of pay is between £35.00 to £40.00 p/hr LTD Company
ROLE PURPOSE AND OVERVIEW:
The objective of the Strategic Cost Management (SCM) team is to identify, evaluate and deliver projects that reduce the impact of material cost on all products produced within IPSD. This is done through the use and deployment of various cost management tools and close working relationships with other divisions of the business particularly purchasing, engineering and supply chain. Collaboration and engagement beyond local team is essential.
This role of Cost Engineer will involve exposure to many other areas of the business and making significant contribution to the year over year cost reduction and product cost targets set by the organisation
The primary focus of this position is the development of detailed component cost models and high level cost estimates for existing parts, new parts and competitor parts. Cost models account for all costs drivers associated with the manufacture and supply of components. The creation of models and estimates will involve the application of your existing manufacturing/engineering and product knowledge, or through detailed investigation of the desired process and technology. The completed analysis sets the baseline that will help identify cost reduction opportunities/projects for subsequent delivery through Strategic Cost Management or NPI teams
This role covers both current and New Product Introduction (NPI) programmes.
* Form high level cost estimates using existing knowledge coupled with information derived from 2D drawings, 3D Solid model, material specifications, technical specifications, material type, part samples, component assessment forms (CAF's), process knowledge and supplier data.
* Use the above to develop detailed component 'Should Cost' models from bottom up. Models are generated using dedicated software to process data, including: - manufacturing process, machine data, labour rates, commercial data, scrap rates etc
* Identify cost reduction opportunities after reviewing the incumbent suppliers operational process Vs 'Cost model' results
* Work with project team to derive a targeted negotiation strategy based on Cost model data
* Provide technical support to buyers during supplier negotiations
* Undertake price change assessments prior to sign off to ensure value for money
* Manage VA/VE (Value Added / Value Engineering) events and process optimisation workshops to identify cost reduction opportunities for delivery
* Work with Design Engineering as a consultant to develop cost effective solutions
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
This is a great opportunity for someone who has experience in material cost management with a strong foundation in a range of manufacturing processes
* Strong knowledge of manufacturing processes and commercial cost drivers
* Experience of managing multiple projects
* The ability to demonstrate cross functional team work
* Analysing and interpreting numerical data and reaching sound judgments and recommendations
* Driving License as travel will be required
* Proficient in Microsoft packages.
* Educated to a degree level or relevant work experience
* Good product knowledge
* Strong 'working' knowledge of Excel
Please be aware the role will be closing on Friday 8th March at 12pm
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.