Sitec has a requirement for a Controls Engineer / Systems Integration Engineer for our client Perkins Engines. This is a contract role for an estimated 12 months and will be based in Peterborough.
For over 90 years, Caterpillar Inc. has been making sustainable progress possible and driving positive change on every continent. Customers turn to Caterpillar to help them develop infrastructure, energy and natural resource assets. Caterpillar is the world's leading manufacturer of construction and mining equipment, diesel and natural gas engines, industrial gas turbines and diesel-electric locomotives.
This is a controls and systems integration role within Caterpillar's European Division of the Energy and Transportation Systems Research Group based at our Peterborough Facility. This team is responsible for developing novel engineering solutions and processes working collaboratively with European Universities, internal and industrial partners as well as will our US based sister team. The team leads the powertrain research strategy and delivery for Caterpillar within Europe, this includes global research responsibility for electrification and hybridisation systems integration and control.
* Implement, validate and optimise embedded control models
* Optimise and calibrate control algorithms within software and hardware
* Machine electrical system commissioning and validation
* Validation of implemented controls code through SiL, HiL, on test bench and with-in demonstrator applications.
* Full ownership of demonstration machines and their testing - Ensuring the machine, data acquisition, drivers are ready for testing in line with requirements and that the testing is executed successfully
* Analysis of data from demonstrator machine and initial investigation into issues
* Requires a good accredited engineering degree (2:1 or above) or equivalent experience and excellent analytical skills, a higher level degree would be advantageous.
KEY COMPETENCIES / TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE:
* Demonstrate the ability to interpret data, identify quality issues and understand performance interactions
* Must have a high level of competency in the use of data-analysis tools (e.g. Excel, Minitab, Matlab/Simulink etc.)
* Demonstrate knowledge of implementation of control strategies into production systems
* Have experience of electronics and electrical systems and ECM debug
* Must have the ability contribute to multi-functional teams
* Be able to maintain effective working relationships
Candidates would ideally:
* Be familiar with 1-D simulation tools (e.g. GT-Power, Wave, AmeSIM, Modelica/Dymola)
* On or off-highway machine fundamentals in order to quickly diagnose and solve issues
* Demonstrate in-depth understanding of engine fundamentals, air systems, fuel systems, hydraulic or electrical power system.
* Have an understanding of underlying theoretical principles of Advanced Control Methods.
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.