Control Systems Engineer -- 6784253 -- 12 months -- Pay rate £30.00 to £35.00 p/hr LTD Company
Sitec has an exciting opportunity for a Controls Systems Engineer for our client Perkins Engines, at their facility in Peterborough. This is a contract role, for an estimated 12 months initially.
The European Large Engine Systems Team is part of Caterpillar Advanced Technology and Solutions (AT&S) Engines and Power Systems group and is responsible for the development and implementation of control systems and strategies for the large engines and marine transmission systems developed by Caterpillar in Europe. (Large and MaK Engines).
This covers engines ranging in power from 750kW to 20MW and involves working closely with CAT development partners to ensure that the system and software is developed to deliver the required functionality. The team responsibilities include definition of requirements, systems engineering, model based software development, software verification / validation, integration testing, system tuning and application support. The team engages with other Global software teams to utilise shared software development and testing resources. It also leverages common tools, processes, software and system solutions with other Caterpillar platforms.
The main focus of the Engine Electronic System development, Systems Engineer role, is to work on system developments for several engine programmes to meet the next generation technologies and to meet more stringent emissions legislation. This role will enable the successful candidate to be a member of a small, focussed development team, working on diverse projects, having direct influence on some of the largest Caterpillar Engines, developing systems and strategies for leading edge technologies for these platforms. The role will be working directly on-site with the internal development partner who is based Stafford, UK and will require periodic travel to development partner facilities.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE CONTROL SYSTEMS ENGINEER:
* Work with development partners to develop and document system requirements
* Select suitable electronic components and work with the development partners to suitably apply them
* Develop system design documentation , including input/output assignments and schematics
* Plan, coordinate and perform electronic and mechanical validation activities along with the associated FMEA aspects
* Work with calibration engineers to ensure software flash files include the required data
* Perform on-engine fault finding and coordinate resolution activity
* Work to defined development processes
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
This role would suit an engineer looking to expand into a systems role.
* Degree, or equivalent, in Electronics/Electrical, Mechatronics, Mechanical, Software or Automotive Engineering.
* Able to actively participate in system FMEAs and the related validation activities.
* Understanding of control system elements (sensors, actuators, controllers)
* Understanding of engine control related aspects of engine subsystems ( eg fuel, air system, after treatment)
* Able to use electronic system calibration tools e.g. Vector CANape to record data and alter controller parameters.
* Ability to build relationships
* Experience of control system development and the related New Product Introduction processes
* Experience of working directly with development partners
* Experience of communication standards including J1939 datalinks
* Familiarity with Mathworks tools (Matlab, Simulink and Stateflow) for model based software design and development
* Familiarity with dSPACE HiL testers or equivalent
* Familiarity with requirements capture tools
Candidates should be quick to learn and ideally have knowledge of Vector, CANape or CANoe tools.
Candidates might have experience of control systems for other areas such as chassis, but is transferable to engines.
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.